How Sandwiches Imitate Life

Friday, August 13, 2010


We ate great food all weekend, from hotdogs at Yankee stadium to Italian on Restaurant Row.  But two of my favourite meals were casual lunches.

We had Saturday lunch at the Shake Shack, a Danny Meyer restaurant. We knew it was a great choice when we saw the sign saying the table was made from an old bowling lane.  I ordered the cheeseburger, fries and chocolate shake, just because it felt like that’s what I should eat.  The burger was delicious, and not way oversized like most are.  And I’m not always a fan of milkshakes – they’re usually too thick to drink, and so cold they have no flavour – but this one was perfect. 



Our last meal in New York was at the Stage Deli.  The Stage is known for its enormous sandwiches named after celebrities.  For example, if you order a Clint Eastwood, you get a turkey, tongue and corned beef sandwich, while a Stephen Sondheim is chicken salad, bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Andrew ordered the Roger Maris.  For anyone who doesn’t follow baseball, Roger Maris held the single-season major league home run record for 37 years (between Babe Ruth and, ahem, Mark McGwire), and never really received the acknowledgement he deserved. 

So how do sandwiches imitate life?  The Roger Maris is comprised of roast beef, onions – and chopped liver.

Oh, and according to Andrew, the sandwich was a real home run.

4 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

Wow, I'm really really hungry all of a sudden! Sometimes nothing is better than a classic burger and fries. :)

Hindy said...

Oh, the Stage Deli. Such great memories of visits to NY. We always eat there. Lovely sandwich photo!

Jessica said...

Oh, the pictures are just mouth-watering. I love Shake Shack -- it's always my first stop in NYC.

Carla Sandrin said...

There's a lot of iron in that "Roger Maris!" I don't know why, but the chopped liver sandwich appeals to me (maybe I'm low on iron). Next time I'm in NY, I'll have to stop by the Shake Shack and give it a try!

Post a Comment