Thursday's Child: Destination Rome

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Destination: Rome
The Roman Forum
When we visited: August 2009

Why to go:

Fabulous history, beautiful churches, great art.  And a sculpture that just might bite your hand off.

What to see:

You already know most of what you want to see.  If you love history, there's no better destination.  The Colosseum, the Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill will make you appreciate the greatness of the Roman Empire.  The Vatican Museums’ Sistine Chapel is truly one of the great works of art, and St. Peter’s Basilica is both majestic and holy.
The great St. Peter's
Legend says if you throw a coin in Trevi Fountain, you’ll return to Rome someday. It worked for me – I did the first time I visited Rome in 1987, and I came back 22 years later.  Just to be sure, I tossed another coin in the fountain this time.  With any luck, I won’t have to wait 22 years before my next visit.

Have any of you seen the wonderful movie, Roman Holiday?  Starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, it’s the story of a princess who sees the city through the eyes of a newspaper reporter.  One of the places they visit is The Mouth Of Truth, a marble disc with a face carved into it.  According to legend (the Romans love their legends), if you stick your hand into the mouth and tell a lie, it will be bitten off.  I’m pleased to tell you that we returned from Rome with all our limbs intact.
The Pollock family recreates another great movie moment.
Where to stay:

Finding a reasonably-priced hotel in any big European city can be difficult.  We were lucky to stay at the Caesar House Residenze Romane, which offered a family room at a great rate.  This centrally-located hotel is a couple of minutes’ walk to the Forum and the Colosseum and, like many European hotels, includes breakfast in the price. 

Where to eat:

When in Rome, you must try the gelato.  Gelato is like super-creamy ice cream, and we sampled our way through any number of gelaterias in Rome. San Crispino is reputed to serve the best, although we loved Tre Scalini in Piazza Navona.  Really, it’s splitting hairs.  It’s all delicious.


29 comments:

Carol said...

One of my most favorite movies! Love your recreation, very cute :) Another great tour of a beautiful city!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, I think Rome just moved up on my list of places to visit. Beautiful pictures, and I love all the legends!

Bkloss said...

I love Rome. Thanks for torturing me with beautiful photos while I sit in the confines of work :)

Claudia said...

Checking out the hotel for our trip in September. Any other suggestions?

Rita said...

What an interesting post. No, I have never been to Rome; and I don't think it will happen now. Love reading about your experience.
Rita

Katerina said...

Rome the eternal city! Can you believe that although Italy is so close I haven't visited Rome yet? We wanted I and my husband to visit but always something came up! But I will do this trip I promise!

Sweetened by Kagi said...

Hey there,
I'm tagging you to participate in the ask me anything game :) I hope you will "play along" :)
http://sweetenedbykagi.blogspot.com/2011/03/ask-me-anything.html

natalia said...

Well you have one more reason to come back ! A special tour guided by me !

Valerie Gamine said...

Yet another place I want to visit someday!
Great post, I love the pics!! :D

Anonymous said...

Rome! Gelato! Yum :) I still haven't tried gelato. I hope you get to visit Rome before 22 years passes ;)

Kayte said...

Love Roman Holiday...one of my favorites. Rome=all good. When Matt returned from Rome (after having been in Greece the previous year and walking and eating Greek food which is not all that fattening, etc.), he had Gelato every single day at least twice to the point that he had gained 5 lbs and his swim coaches were calling him Gelato Butt for the rest of the summer as a joke...if you have seen Matt you know there is not a spare ounce on him. He was hooked on Gelato from then on!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't stay away from the gelato in Rome! I'm waiting for my coin to work its magic so I can return.

Ruth said...

I'm pretty sure I was with you in 1987! I've been back since then too!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to go to Italy--especially Rome. Between the food & the architecture, I may never return home.

My Little Space said...

This is one of my dream destination. I wish I could visit there one day. Amazing!
Blessings, Kristy

Beth said...

Claudia, I'm thrilled that you'll be visiting Rome this fall! I'll be in touch to see how I can help.
Katerina, I know that when you visit Rome it will be worth the wait. We loved it!
Ruth, I promise that one of these days I'll blog about that 1987 trip. There must be something to that Trevi fountain legend....
And Kayte, I'm very relieved that Matt's coaches weren't in Rome with me!

Sweet And Crumby said...

Thank you for your great tips as always Beth. Rome is on the top of my list when I begin traveling outside the U.S. Your daughters are so lucky to be traveling at such a young age.

Jess said...

You've got me drooling for Rome's history and gelato! It must be surreal to see those sites in person...

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Wow, I so want to go! :)

Manzanita said...

Dear Beth,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Rome must be a grand memory for you. It was my one dream that was never fulfilled. My husband and I lived in Morocco for 3 years and had planned to return to the US, work, learn Italian and then live in Italy. We only did the first 2 and got caught up with suburban life and never made it to Italy. We were so very young when we made the plans but I still think about it. Thanks again for stirring my old memory with your awsome post.
Have a keen weekend
Manzanita
Wanna buy a duck

Gloria Baker said...

Absolutely nice pictures, gloria

Unknown said...

Hi Beth, I was in Rome between High School and College so let's just say a few decades,LOL.
I know it would be worth the trip to go back just for the Gelato;-)
Thanks for sharing your photos and have a nice weekend;-)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE re-creating cheese-y movie moments at landmarks as such :) Definitely did it at the Louvre, the last time we were there. It just happens, you know?

Angie's Recipes said...

Beth, those Rome photos are really great. You make me want to go grab my backpack and fly to Rome!

Sue said...

Never been there, but I'd love to go!

Amie Kaufman said...

Woo, Rome! I threw a coin in the Trevi Fountain in 2000 and it'll be drawing me back there in June this year. Can't wait! Thanks for the little teaser.

Barbara said...

I've only been once, but we made every minute count. I hope that coin in the fountain results in another trip!

Julie said...

Italy is #1 on my bucket list of places to go! Thanks for the visit!

A Canadian Foodie said...

What a lovely way to post a favourite spot. I have been to Rome four times. The ice cream is a must and I have my favourite place near the Trevi fountain. I highly recommend the Vatican museum tour. It was excellent and brought so much meaning to what I had missed the first couple of times. (I know, that is not Rome!) The tour guide makes such a difference, but most are excellent and I would highly recommend paying what it takes to join a guided walking tour for all local sites. Every time, I have learned something a new way. The food is incredible. The city is a live at night. Loved it. Can't recall where I stayed but all were within walking distance of the old town area but one... clearly, nothing to refer anyone to!
:)
Valerie

Post a Comment