Recipes inspired by Musicals: Wicked

Sunday, July 31, 2011


One of the blessings of living in Toronto is that we get some terrific theatre.  An amazing number of shows are put on every year – new shows, revivals, long runs, short runs, popular and obscure.  There really is something for everyone.

But one of the drawbacks is that, with so much great theatre, it’s easy to miss something good.  That’s what happened to us with the 2005 tour of Wicked.  Shortly after it left town, the girls went to summer camp and came back singing the songs from the show that apparently everyone else their age had seen.  “Never mind,” I thought.  “When Wicked comes back to town, we’ll go.”

Year after desolate year passed, with no Wicked.  I began to think my unborn grandchildren would be at camp before it came back to Toronto.  Then last year came the announcement that Wicked was returning in the fall of 2010.  A witch on broomstick couldn’t have snapped up tickets faster than I did.  The five-year wait was worth it to see this magical production.  The showstopping piece, "Defying Gravity", took my breath away. 

These meringues defy gravity too.  (You were wondering when I’d get around to the recipe?)  I love meringues – hence my blog title – and I’m not sure how I blogged for a year before posting a recipe for them.  Like Wicked, these meringues were worth the wait, the perfect mix of crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  The slightly tart raspberries and fluffy whipped cream were the ideal complement.  As Elphaba sang to Glinda, “Together we’re unlimited/Together we’ll be the greatest team/There’s ever been.”

Meringues Chantilly
(From Ina Garten’s Barefoot in Paris)
Makes 12 meringues

For meringues:
6 egg whites, at room temperature
¼ tsp cream of tartar
kosher salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar, divided
½ tsp pure vanilla extract

For raspberry sauce:
1 half-pint fresh raspberries
½ cup sugar
1 cup good-quality raspberry jam
1 Tbsp framboise liqueur (optional; I didn’t use this)

For whipped cream:
2 cups cold heavy cream
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

3 pints raspberries

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Using a small glass and a pencil, draw six 3 ½ inch circles on each piece of paper.  Turn the paper face-down on the baking sheets.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and a large pinch of salt on medium speed until frothy.  Add 1 cup of the sugar and raise the speed to high until the egg whites form very stiff peaks.  Whisk in the vanilla.  Carefully fold the remaining ½ cup of sugar into the meringue.  With a large star-shaped pastry tip, pipe a disc of meringue inside each circle.  Pipe another layer around the edge to form the sides of the shells.

Bake for 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and crisp but not browned.  Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to set in the oven for 4 hours or overnight.

For the raspberry sauce, place the raspberries, sugar and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the jam and framboise.  Pour through a sieve to remove some of the seeds.  Chill.

For the whipped cream, beat cream until it starts to thicken.  Add sugar and vanilla and whip until the cream forms peaks.

To serve, fill each shell with whipped cream, top with berries, and serve on a puddle of raspberry sauce.  

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw I'm sorry you had to wait 5 years lol!! How awesome that you live in a city that gets a lot of musical traffic!

Jess said...

They look delicious~ well worth the wait, just like Wicked. I've never seen the show, but would love to :)

Needful Things said...

I like the new look of your blog!
You've provided me with a perfect solution for using up 3 egg whites sitting in my fridge right now - the meringues look delish. I'm going to top mine with chopped mango :)

Valerie Gamine said...

5 years is a long time to have to wait for something, but I'm sure it only made it all the more worthwhile. :)

Your meringues are darling, they look like tiny clouds!

shaz said...

Love the new blog header Beth! And I adore meringues, and raspberries too. But I've never seen Wicked, sounds like I'm missing out.

Ruth said...

Great recipe! Meringue and raspberry is the best combo ever!

Julie said...

Beautiful meringues! I've not seen Wicked but have heard such wonderful reviews on it.

Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

Those meringues look beautiful. I have had them on my "list" for a long time but haven't gotten to them yet. I love Ina though and your version of this recipe has inspired me!

Carol said...

Ha, I love how fit the recipes with the musicals, Bravo! Your meringues look fantastic. Great show, glad you didn't miss it.

Golden Eagle said...

I've read the book, but have not seen the musical--it sounds really good. :)

The meringues look delicious!

chow and chatter said...

wow these look heavenly :-) thanks for the kind comment on the craft post hugs Rebecca

Sue said...

So yummy! I really want to see Wicked!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic musical and fantastic dessert! Defying Gravity gives me the chills whenever I hear it. It's so beautiful!

Reeni said...

Your meringues are heavenly! Delicious with the raspberries! I haven't seen Wicked but is sounds like I need to.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wicked was just breathtaking! I've gone to see it with my mother twice now and it's just such a wonderful thing to be able to share. Plus, I have never seen so many people sob all at once as they do during For Good.

p.s. That raspberry sauce looks just lovely, obviously :)

Anonymous said...

I've missed a few plays and I'm hoping that they come back to town. We have theater, but I have excuses not to go and then wished I had gone.

Those meringues look yummy.

Barbara said...

I haven't seen Wicked yet myself! I'm way behind!

My mother's specialty was meringues. She filled them with lemon, butterscotch and chocolate. (I'm licking my lips in memory!)
Love them with raspberries and yes! Definitely ice cream!

Angela said...

I love raspberries. And this looks fantastic. Especially the contrast between the fluffy white meringue and the deep red sauce. Yum.

Joanne said...

Wicked is my favorite musical! I've seen it twice and would see it another five thousand times...so good!

These gorgeous meringues look so delicious!

Rita said...

This recipe looks and sounds like the Perfect summer dessert.
Rita

Anonymous said...

How fun, this is a terrific dessert! We are actually going to see Wicked this weekend, very exciting!

Lorraine said...

I am loving your musical recipes! I read the book, Wicked, and really loved it but have not been lucky enough to see the play. Like you, the last few times it has come for such a short time that I have not gotten around to seeing it. It is on the top of my list for the next time it comes to Boston. Your meringues look wonderful:)

Kristen said...

I love how you tied those gorgeous meringues to Wicked. This is such a fun series.

Claudia said...

We waited for a few years also - finally was going to go to Chicago to see it! I cannot listen to "For Good" without tears. The meringues are just gorgeous and sort of Glinda (or Galinda) to me - all white and fluffy with a streak of red!

Sweet And Crumby said...

Oh my...these do look like they are defying gravity...so light and beautiful!

Victoria said...

Wicked is AMAZING! I tried several times to get lottery tickets to the Broadway show, but let me tell you how nearly impossible that is! I finally saw it in Providence a couple years ago and it was incredible! I love your inspiration for these meringues. Your new musicals feature on your blog is a lot of fun!

Mary said...

I really wanted to see Billy Elliot when I was in Toronto, but nobody wanted to come with me.
:(
I've never even heard of Wicked! I do know meringues and these look delicious, especially with the raspberries in season right now.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a lot of musicals, and the "Defying Gravity" scene in Wicked ranks in my top 5 favorite musical moments. Meringues are a perfect choice.

Janet Johnson said...

Isn't that a great musical?! I saw it with my sister back in 2008 in KC. Just wishing I could get to see it with my husband. :)

And as always, you make my mouth water. Yumm!

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

Oh my goodness these are gorgeous!!! Raspberries and Wicked go great together, and I adore them both :) I love when you do the musical inspiration - such a cute idea.

laxsupermom said...

Love meringues, and love Wicked, too! You're so lucky to live in Toronto. Way back when I was in middle school & high school our drama club would do a spring trip to Toronto to take in 3 or 4 shows. I'd look forward to it each year. I don't know if they do it anymore with the need for a passport to cross over. Your meringues look wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Lydia Kang said...

Wow, these look amazing! I'm so lazy, I wish I could just beam one of those goodies over to my plate right now...

julie said...

I still haven't seen it but darn if I don't love that song, defying gravity. :) Your meringues look beautiful and your web design simply gorgeous! I love the new look!

Amie Kaufman said...

Oh, j'adore. I simply MUST make these!

I still remember the first time I saw Defying Gravity performed. I realised at the end that my mouth was wide open.

Lynne Daley said...

I loved Wicked and have seen in twice! Your meringues look delicious! Will have to make these!

Post a Comment