Confirmation

Sunday, November 20, 2011
My youngest daughter is getting confirmed today.

In our congregation, confirmation is a year-long process that begins in the winter of eighth grade and finishes the following November.  In addition to two weekend retreats and bimonthly group meetings, an important part of the process is being matched with a mentor.  The mentor is an adult member of the congregation who enhances his or her partner’s spiritual experience, by being both a sounding board and a spiritual advisor.

Our daughter was fortunate to be paired with our friend Catherine.  Together, they’ve prepared meals for our two families and met on several other occasions.  Their discussions have ranged from international politics to music to, of course, their faith.  Catherine’s friendship and guidance played a big part in my daughter’s enthusiasm about joining the church.

We all met at the church on Friday night – teens, their families, mentors, and Michael, the youth minister – to celebrate the end of the program and the beginning of our children’s membership in the church.  We marvelled at how tall they were and recalled when they were small children getting to know each other in the Sunday School.  And we celebrated with that great church tradition of a pot luck meal. 

In addition to taking a plate of cookies (it seems I rarely leave the house without a plate of cookies in my hands), I made a couple of salads that Catherine could eat.  She can’t eat wheat flour, so I wanted to ensure that some of the food would be safe for her.  That gave me a great excuse to make this recipe again.

I try a lot of new recipes, and this dish is one of my favourites.  It’s so easy, and so beautiful, and so delicious, that it’s hard to believe it’s healthy, too.  This salad came from The Brick Kitchen blog, where I find lots of great, healthy food ideas. Don’t let the ordinary name of this recipe fool you into thinking that it’s anything less than sensational.

Have a great week!

Warm Brown Rice Salad
(adapted from The Brick Kitchen)

1 cup dry brown rice
1 Tbsp olive oil (first amount)
2 medium carrots, in small dice
1 stalk celery, in small dice
1 medium zucchini in small dice
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
kosher salt
1 tsp oil (second amount)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Cook brown rice according to package instructions.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add carrots and celery and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.  Add zucchini and cranberries, season with a pinch of salt and continue to cook for another minute or two, or until vegetables are tender.  Remove from heat, and stir in prepared brown rice, vinegar and remaining tsp of oil.  Serve warm.

38 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Such a beautiful, healthy salad...delicious, too! Congratulations to your sweet daughter! My oldest son was my youngest's sponsor...it made it even more special~

Belinda said...

Congratulations! Happy blessings! =) Great meal.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. And congrats to your daughter.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

A very special day for your daughter today! And a healthy, delicious salad for all to enjoy :) Blessings,
Lorraine

Mary said...

Congrats to your daughter on this very special day! The salad sound great. I bet the cranberries give it just enough sweetness as well!

Carol said...

Congratulations to your daughter on her confirmation! The salad looks delicious, beautiful and healthy, too!

Joanne said...

Congratulations to your daughter, it sounds like she had a good year leading up to this big day.

And that recipe, wow! That could make a meal for me, I'm saving it to try ...

Bonnie said...

Congratulations on your daughter's confirmation. I remember how special my daughter's special day was. The recipe looks wonderful. I want to try it, and I am going to share it with a friend whose daughter-in-law is allergic to wheat. Thank you for sharing. I am also going to check the mentions blog. Bonnie

Jess said...

Congratulations on the confirmation of your daughter~ what a special year she's had :) Thanks for another tasty-looking recipe!

Angie's Recipes said...

Congratulations to your daughter!!! 
Had some brown rice stir-fry today for lunch, and I love your salad version too.

Valerie Gamine said...

Please congratulate your daughter for me! As a recovering catholic, I remember the process all well. :D
This brown rice salad looks amazing and so hearty!

Cate Manning said...

I have been the fortunate one, Beth, in having the opportunity to deepen my connection with Rachel, and with your wonderful family. Rachel is a stimulating, reflective, LOVELY young woman, and it's been entirely my pleasure to mentor her this year. :)

Susanne K. Fletcher said...

Congratulations to Rachel. What a wonderful celebration of faith, friendship and family. Three unbreakable bonds. Might I also add that I am very impressed with you nutritious recipe offering this week Beth. Tee Hee

Beth said...

Catherine, what a lovely surprise to get your comment! We're really looking forward to getting together with your family again soon. It was a wonderful service, wasn't it?

Susanne, every once in a while I post a recipe that you might enjoy, and today's is one of those! I think you'd love it.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. It really was a special day.

sally said...

Congratulations to your daughter and what a great looking salad! Thanks for sharing!

Claudia said...

I love a hearty rice salad - so perfect for November. Congratulations to your daughter - all these rites of passages and now one step closer to adulthood and taking charge of her life.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Youngest Daughter!

What a wonderful rite of passage - this is only just the beginning. Blessings on you all today.

Miriam said...

I am so happy to hear when people have positive, life-benefiting experiences in their youth! The dish sounds amazing :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

laurie said...

That salad looks so good...something new for me to try!

Monet said...

What a wonderful celebration. I remember when I was confirmed in my church. Such a special season of life. Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe and sweet words my friend. No better way to end my weekend. I hope you have a week full of family and feasting. Blessings from Austin!

Elaine said...

What a special time for your daughter and your family! This salad looks perfect for this time of year. It is so colorful and so appealing.

Simply Life said...

congrats to your daughter!

Joanne said...

Congratulations to your daughter! Your church's confirmation process sounds way more intense than mine was...I'd probably have been more into it if it were! What a delicious salad! It sounds like it would be PERFECT as a Thanksgiving side!

Justine L said...

It's been a while since I've commented, but I'm definitely still ready ... and this salad looks delicious! I love warm rice salads. :) So glad that your daughter found a mentor that she "clicked" with ... I'm teaching the equivalent of the confirmation class in January, and am looking forward to these kinds of conversations with the young people!

Anonymous said...

What a yummy wholesome salad...so comforting. What a thoughtful dish to bring for your friend. Congratulation to your daughter and your family.

Susan said...

What a lovely story! Because my dad was in the U.S. Navy, we moved often & I attended 3 different high schools so I wasn't confirmed until my sophomore year at the University of Dallas.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the confirmation!
I like the healthy twist on a rice dish. I've been looking for something great to do with brown rice. Num!

Lorraine said...

Congratulations to your daughter! A very special day. We do confirmation a little later, when they are in their junior year in high school. My son had his last year. This dish looks wonderful. I bet the cranberries add a great flavor:)

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

What a neat tradition in your church. And congratulations, Catherine!

Everything you make looks divine, Beth!

nancy at good food matters said...

hi Beth,
what a pretty and healthy rice dish--ideal for so many fall menus. Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

Katerina said...

Congratulations to your daughter! The salad looks delicious Beth. Tasha has her way in salads I must say!

Barbara said...

Congratulations to your daughter, Beth. And I think it's sweet of you to take a recipe Catherine can eat without problems. The brown rice looks healthy and hearty would be a perfect alongside turkey too!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your daughter! I still remember my confirmation, but we didn't have mentors, it sounds like a great addition to the confirmation practice.

This salad looks wonderful as well, I'm always looking for new sides. I wonder if adding some quinoa into the mix for added protein would work with the texture?

Beth said...

There are a lot of ways you could adapt this recipe. The source I took it from (The Brick Kitchen blog) used israeli couscous, She in turn adapted the recipe from two sources, which used wheat berries. I was dying to try it with wheat berries but had wild rice on hand, and I liked it so much I don't know if I'll ever switch it up! (If you're interested, I used Lundberg Wild Blend rice, which I bought at Loblaws.)

I think the recipe works best with a grain that has a strong texture, but you might try going half and half with quinoa and one of the grains that I mentioned above. Let me know how it works out!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your daughter! And so very glad I found your blog--it is looking delicious!

Rita said...

I don't know what happened but you are not on my list of bloggers I follow anymore. So I re joined/
Congratulations to your daughter! This salad is really intersting; I don't ever get brown rice... will have to pick some up.
Rita

grace said...

congratulations to your whole family, beth! this is a terrific dish, by the way--the cranberries MAKE IT for me. :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful milestone. Congratulations to your daughter! I must admit to being very excited that you shared this recipe--I love brown rice!

Post a Comment