Thursday's Child: Skating at Rockefeller Center

Wednesday, April 9, 2014
This has been a long, hard winter, and I can't welcome spring quickly enough. But before we got too far into April, I wanted to take a look back at one of my favourite winter activities this year - skating at Rockefeller Center in New York City.

We travelled to New York as a family between Christmas and New Years. Andrew and I have been there a few times, but it was the first visit for the girls. So we wanted to cover some of the basics of the city: Central Park, Broadway, FAO Schwarz, the Shake Shack. And right up there was Rockefeller Center.

Andrew and I had never skated there before, although I remember visiting once and watching the skaters from the level above. (It was on that visit that we saw Regis Philbin and Il Divo setting up next to the rink, for a Christmas special appearance.) But with a family visit, donning skates seemed like the perfect way to spend an afternoon. And we were right. In the midst of a very busy trip, spending a couple of hours skating on a perfect winter day was one of our most memorable activities in New York City.

"It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river I could skate away on."

- from "River" by Joni Mitchell






16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did this a few years ago, too. What a wonderful winter memory!

Julie said...

I've been to NYC but never Rockafeller Center. Looks so fun.

Valerie Gamine said...

Aw, beautiful photos, Beth! Even though I'd like to put all memories of winter and snow behind me, it's nice to see that they're really not so bad...given the right conditions. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks like that the whole family was having fun, Beth.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of you and your husband and of you and your beautiful family. You all look so happy! What a fun experience :)

Joanne said...

So fun! I've never actually been ice skating in Rockefeller center, but I often walk by during the holidays and watch.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

What an awesome ice skating place, so much fun :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Anonymous said...

fun time with family...a wonderful post as always,thanks for sharing :-)

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, what a wonderful trip with your daughters and husband that must have been - I am sure that you created uncountable precious memories! Great pictures!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Love the Joni Mitchell song. Especially like the picture of you and your husband. What a fun family trip!

Gloria Baker said...

what lovely and beauty pictures Beth! and your daugthers are grow and beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Sweet photos Beth!
I've always wanted to ice skate in Rockefeller Center..it looks fun. I'm glad you all had that adventure-it's on my list! Spring is here, I know-finally-for all who had such a severe Winter but now you can enjoy warmer weather and more travel adventures :-)

Claudia said...

I grew up doing that at least once a year - with sister and cousins. One of my fondest memories. You just brought it all back. Glad it was so special for you also. (Love Joni's song.)

Deb said...

Did this exact thing for my 50th a few years ago. It was something I had always wanted to do. We also had dinner on my birthday overlooking the rink and up at the tree - should be on everyone's bucket list! Love the photo of you and Andrew!!! Sending warm vibes your way...spring is almost upon you!

Kitchen Riffs said...

NYC is always such a fun place! I've never skated at Rockefeller Center, although I've often seen people doing it (I used to work several blocks from there). Fun stuff -- thanks.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I think this is the perfect way to enjoy winter :D
I wish to skate there one day, even though I can't!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Post a Comment