Thursday's Child: Carnegie Deli, New York City

Thursday, June 12, 2014
The first time Andrew and I travelled to New York, it was with our dear friends, Colleen and Garth Jay. We have many great memories from that trip, including Garth's attempt to win a disagreement with a New York taxi driver. (He didn't.) But one of the longest-lasting memories was of our breakfast at the Carnegie Deli.

I was four months pregnant with my oldest daughter at the time, and it was a great pregnancy. In fact, the only time I experienced morning sickness during the whole nine months was at the Carnegie Deli. I'm not sure what set it off - it certainly wasn't the food, for it hadn't even arrived. Perhaps it was the sight of Garth attempting to win a disagreement with the waitress. (He didn't.) I believe he was in the midst of trying to substitute French fries for hash browns when I felt the sudden urge to visit the ladies' room. Despite my sickness, I had fond memories of the deli with its celebrity photos lining the walls and enormous plates of food.

What a pleasure it was to return to New York over Christmas, and take the young lady who had visited in utero, along with her sister. We waited in line in the rain to get a table for a late lunch after seeing the Rockettes Christmas show. Celebrity photos still lined the walls, and the food was still abundant. People may grow up, but some things - like the Carnegie Deli - never change.

11 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

Gorgeous pic! Hopefully it was an argument-free trip. :D

Claudia said...

Love this (and your arguing friend - I am a New Yorker and waitressed during my "actress" days - was hard to win an argument with me!) People either love the place or hate it. Love it. Their pickles and pastrami. Loved your circular story.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds awesome! So glad the morning sickness didn't interfere with the food! :)

Bonnie said...

There is nothing like a New York deli! Love the picture of you and your daughter. You both have beautiful smiles!

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

I love the Carnegie Deli! And how neat that you were able to go back, all those years later. So cool!

Anonymous said...

I've been there. Great place!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What fun to return after all these years! I take it your appetite was much better this time around :)

Kathy said...

I’ve been to the Carnegie Deli…overpriced and overcrowded…but a must when in NYC! The best pickles!! How nice you were able to go back with your daughter. I’d never start an argument with a NYC cab driver…you’ll never win!

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautiful photo of you and your daughter!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Looks more and more likely that I'll be in NYC with my youngest in August. Putting Carnegie Deli on the visit list!

Beth said...

Great, Inger! Let me know if you get there!

Post a Comment