Thursday's Child: Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, Toronto

Thursday, November 20, 2014
I've been to the Royal Winter Fair as a kid, both with my parents and as part of a school group. Andrew and I have taken our own girls many times through the years. But with both girls busy a couple of weekends ago, and Andrew and I looking for something to do, we decided to visit the Royal on our own.

We stopped first to watch the goat judging. (I don't know anything about goats. But if you're looking, you can find drama anywhere.)

Yup, "Overall Best Udder" is actually a category.


When I think of livestock at the fair, I think of the beef and dairy cattle competitions that are held throughout the week. But in addition to cattle (and goats), there are contests for poultry, sheep, rabbits and pigeons.


Young 4H members were proud to show off their cattle.

When I was in 4H, girls usually joined cooking and sewing clubs while boys joined agricultural clubs. Now, of course, the fair is full of young men and women showing the animals they raised.


We enjoyed watching the many art students sketch livestock with their classmates.



Produce and fresh baking are probably my favourite part of any fall fair. (When I was a little girl, I was the junior division fudge champion at Rodney Fair more than once. I'm sure that comes as a surprise to no one.)


We came across a cow standing patiently in the middle of a hall. This photo is begging for a great caption. Any suggestions?


16 comments:

Catherine said...

Dear Beth, This event looks like fun.
This cow certainly looks lost...she is probably wondering where everyone went.
xo Catherine

Barbara said...

I used to take the kids to the Michigan state fair all the time! We had such fun. This post brought back lots of memories!

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never been to an event like this...it seems so fun!
Have a great weekend, Beth!

Monica said...

I've never been to an event like this either. Looks like fun. My son would definitely enjoy it.

Valerie Gamine said...

"My hooves are killing me!" :D
I want that goat, she looks mischievous.

Pam said...

Great photos! I took my kids to a 4H fair this summer and it was great visiting with all the animals.

It looks like the cow is waiting to use the restroom.

Anonymous said...

I love 4H fairs! The one we go to here looks a lot smaller than this one, but it's still fun.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

What an awesome event, I would love to go there sometime! :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Kayte said...

Great photos. I was a 4-H leader for 30 years and Matt was a 10 year member so seeing that 4-H pledge gave me a big smile! Such fun.

Juliana said...

Great photos Beth...this is the first time I head of 4H...great concept!
Have a great weekend :)

Unknown said...

Now, this is my kind of fair! I just love it...wish I'd done it as a kid (with a kid)!

Julie said...

Fun! Fun! Have a wonderful weekend.

grace said...

my cousins and i did 4H when we were younger and it was always so fun. i never showed any livestock but it was fun to watch for sure. :)

Joanne said...

I wonder what makes an udder a BEST udder. Hmm.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

"shhhh, they're about to decide the winner" (She looks like she is listening at the door)

Claudia said...

Okay - I am smiling. Goat judging? Best udder???? My favorite part of MN's State Fair are the crafts and blue ribbon foods. It's just fun to see what people come up with. Best udder?????

Post a Comment