Kris Krinkle cookies

Sunday, December 14, 2014
In our house, we're divided on the flavour of peppermint. I could take it or leave it, but the others love it so much, I try to work it into my repertoire once in a while.

When I saw this recipe on Joanne's blog, I had to try it. Even this mint chocolate agnostic thought it looked terrific. But because it's December, and because peppermint makes me think of candy canes, and because they're Crinkle Cookies, I found myself calling them Kris Krinkles. I have a fondness for celebrity cookie names (see also Ethel Mermans), and so it stuck.

I hope the real Kris Kringle likes mint chocolate too, because we'll be making this recipe again on Christmas Eve to put on our Santa cookie plate. And three four happy Pollocks will be eating whatever he doesn't finish!

Kris Krinkles (a.k.a. Peppermint Crinkle Cookies)
(from Eats Well With Others)

Ingredients

7 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp Nutella
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1 egg white
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)

Directions

Place the chocolate, butter and Nutella in a double boiler and stir until ingredients are melted. Set aside and let cool slightly.

Place flour and cocoa powder in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.

Place eggs, egg white and sugar in a bowl and beat for two minutes. Add peppermint extract and beat to combine.

Gently fold the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until combined.

Gently fold the flour mixture in until fully combined. Chill dough in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Remove the dough from the freezer. Form the dough into small balls, and drop them into the bowl with the confectioners' sugar one or two at a time. Roll them around until they are coated in sugar, and repeat until all the cookies are made. (Make the cookies fairly small, as they'll expand as they flatten out in the oven.) Place dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet an inch apart, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. After removing from the oven, let them cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

22 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Crinkle chocolate cookies are definitely a must-have during the holiday season. These look very pretty, Beth.

Marcela said...

They're so good! I will definitely give this recipe a try!

Julie said...

We're divided on mint at our house, too. I just made a peppermint cookie for a cookie exchange at hubby's work. These look so good. Love your Santa plate.

We Are Not Martha said...

I've totally been wanting to make chocolate crinkle cookies this year. I LOVE the touch of peppermint, too!

Sues

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

These look so good, a perfect tea time treat :)

Barbara said...

Such a cute plate, Beth!
I've never made crinkle cookies..but do love that peppermint/chocolate combo. Must try your recipe.

Natalie Aguirre said...

These look good and I think my daughter would like them. I may have to try them. Thanks.

grace said...

i remember these cookies from joanne's blog! as i live in household where peppermint is 100% loved, these would definitely be a hit. :)

Pam said...

My kiddos would gobble these up in no time. Love your santa plate.

Monica said...

Yes, definitely a holiday must-have and I like playing with all the versions. I love these with nutella - makes them more moist and chewy. That is such a cute plate!

Daniela Grimburg said...

I love the combination of chocolate and peppermint.
The cookies look fantastic and add a delicious fresh flavor to the traditional Christmas sweets.

Pam said...

They sound like delicious cookies, perfect for the season. We're a divided house on peppermint also, I love it, hubby doesn't. I've made crinkle cookies many times, but will be adding peppermint to some of the dough from now on, thanks to you!

Pam said...

That's krinkle!

Katerina said...

Delicious cookies Beth, very festive and perfect for this season!

nancy at good food matters said...

I am in your camp, regarding peppermint. Not my favorite! But these cookies are indeed perfect for the season. I love your vintage Santa plate.

scrambledhenfruit said...

We're divided at my house too, but since I like it and I'm the one making the cookies it's never a problem. :) These look scrumptious!

Joanne said...

I'm so so glad you liked these!! Also, I love your renaming of them. :)

Kitchen Riffs said...

I like peppermint, a lot, but there are other flavors I like better, so I guess I could leave it. But who wants to? ;-) I want everything! Anyway, these are great cookies -- tons of flavor. And that Santa plate is wonderful!

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious!!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmm, these cookies look super addictive :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

What a cute name for this cookie! And love your serving plate!

Kayte said...

Okay, I know that you know that I would by lying if I said those cookies looked great, because I know that you know that I don't like chocolate. At all. Ever. :-) But I do LOVE LOVE LOVE that little Santa plate...so cute and charming. Hope you are having a great holiday season! xo

Post a Comment