Brunch

Sunday, July 26, 2015

I love brunch. I love going out to a restaurant on a weekend morning, and chatting over an Eggs Benedict or a Huevos Rancheros. I've enjoyed some wonderful brunches over the years, from Commander's Palace in New Orleans to Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis, from Beauty and Essex in New York to Toronto's Farmhouse Tavern.

But as it happens, I get out to brunch far less often than I'd like. On Saturday mornings we’re running errands, and on Sunday mornings we’re in church. Going to brunch isn’t something that often works for us.

Which is why it’s great to find a cookbook that lets me enjoy it in my own house. Mildred Pierce Restaurant (which has since become Mildred’s Temple Restaurant) was named for the Joan Crawford movie Mildred Pierce. The cookbook that it inspired, Out To Brunch, has page after page of great recipes, including a few that are named for characters in the movie. (Remind you of anyone who has a series of recipes inspired by her favourite musicals?) 

I couldn’t resist trying one of those recipes, Mrs. Biederhof’s Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes, so named for the “other woman” in the movie, who might have cooked them to lure Mildred’s husband away. The pancakes were wonderful: tall, fluffy and stuffed with juicy berries, and served with extra berries on the side. I can’t speak for either Mrs. Biederhof or Mr. Pierce, but I was seduced by these delicious pancakes - and so was Mr. Pollock.


Mrs. Biederhof’s Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
(from Out to Brunch at Mildred Pierce Restaurant, by Donna Dooher and Claire Stubbs) 

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup fresh blueberries, plus extra for serving
unsalted butter to grease the skillet
maple syrup, for serving

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk and melted butter.

Using a spatula, combine the dry and wet ingredients to make a thick, lumpy batter, taking care not to overmix.

In a nonstick skillet, melt some butter over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/3 cup of batter into the hot skillet and sprinkle with blueberries. Take care not to overcrowd the skillet, since the pancakes will puff up as they cook.

When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes and the edges begin to brown, flip the pancakes and cook the other side. It should take about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Serve with maple syrup and extra blueberries.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how I love blueberry pancakes! I need to make a batch for breakfast coming up. I love them for a special weekday treat.

Julie said...

Brunch is one of my favorite meals too. I cherish those on vacation. A neighbor just brought me some Michigan blueberries. T hose would be perfect for these pancakes. Maybe just maybe I can convince hubby to have them for dinner one night this week.

Natalie Aguirre said...

My husband would have loved this recipe. For special occasions like his birthday, I always made him blueberry pancakes.

Cakelaw said...

Yum - what gorgeous looking pancakes. Blueberries will give them such a flavour burst.

Gloria Baker said...

Beth I love these pancakes!
Look delicious!!
xo

Gloria Baker said...

Beth I love these pancakes!
Look delicious!!
xo

Angie's Recipes said...

They are so soft and fluffy! Must make some this weekend.

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

Mmm, these are one of my favorite types of pancakes and yours look like they turned out SO good. I, too, love brunch but we also don't get out for it much, due to the same reasons you mentioned. That's why I love an occasional brunch at home, too!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Blueberry pancakes always remind me of my dad---he'd order them every Sunday after Mass on our yearly vacations to Aspen. He LOVED those pancakes---and you've got me thinking that I need to make these for him when we're in Colorado next week :)

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Blueberry Pancakes are my fave but I've never made them with buttermilk! Will have to give this delicious recipe a try - thanks for sharing! I also love Huevos Rancheros too - Cheers:)

handmade by amalia said...

Well, I know what I'm making Saturday morning :-) These look divine.
Amalia
xo

Barbara said...

I like brunches too, Beth, but they don't happen very often. It's a great way to entertain though.
Your pancakes look delish!

Joanne said...

I think you and I have similar brunch attitudes - love love love! It's my favorite meal of the day...and I know I would just love these pancakes on a Saturday morning! (Or any morning, really.)

Monica said...

I love brunch, too...that feeling of having all the time in the world and indulging in something hearty and lingering over cups of coffee. : ) We make a ton of pancakes for weekend brunch/breakfast but I never make blueberry ones (the little guy isn't a fan...yet)! Need to try this. It looks wonderful!

grace said...

i always say that brunch is my favorite meal, but i hardly ever go either! these pancakes look perfect--that's one dish i haven't yet gotten the hang of making!

Kayte said...

The pancakes look wonderful. I am a fan of the Mildred Pierce movie, I actually like that movie and tend to watch it once a year when it appears on late night movies. That said, can you really see Joan Crawford as a restaurant cook slinging spatulas and whipping up the food for her restaurant? For some reason, that part never seemed really believable to me...she was just too glamorous. :-)

Tricia Buice said...

Blueberry buttermilk pancakes - that sounds like the perfect breakfast! They are lovely and how I miss Saturday morning breakfast with my kids :)

Claudia said...

I also love brunch - and who needs the morning - let's have brunch for dinner. This is the perfect way to use up the last of my blueberries! It's soul-sustaining.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I love hosting brunch! And blueberry pancakes are my absolute favorite. Good reminder that I need to eat some while the season is on!

Kitchen Riffs said...

Love blueberries and love pancakes. So of course you know what I think when you put them together. ;-) Brunch is a great meal -- I've never hungry enough for a big breakfast early in the morning, but by 11 or so I'm ready!

nancy at good food matters said...

Hi Beth, love the Mildred Pierce inspiration! I remember a couple of years ago, there was a television remake of Mildred Pierce with Kate Winslet in the starring role. It also highlighted her special Chicken and Waffles. Also, I agree with Claudia, commenting above, --yes, let's have brunch for dinner!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so brunch is even better. Love these pancakes.

Post a Comment