Springtime asparagus

Sunday, June 19, 2016

"Spring drew on ... and a greenness grew over these brown beds, which, freshening daily, suggested the thought that Hope traversed them at night, and left each morning brighter traces of her steps."
- Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Here in Toronto, today feels like the middle of summer. But technically, it's the last full day of spring. So if I'm going to post my favourite new asparagus recipe, now's the time.

If you want to keep things super-easy for a weeknight meal, the asparagus is wonderful on its own, simply roasted in the spice marinade. The citrus dressing, yogurt and avocado dress it up beautifully for guests, or a leisurely weekend meal.

(By the way, you might think it's impossible to have "too much" asparagus. If you looked inside my fridge, however, you might think again. Apparently, I'll be happily roasting asparagus well into the summer.)

Spiced Roasted Asparagus with Avocado and Yogurt
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

For the asparagus

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil (first amount)
2 pounds thin-to-medium asparagus, ends trimmed

To finish

2 Tbsp olive oil (second amount)
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 large firm-ripe avocados, cut in thin slices
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover 2 baking sheets with foil.

Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Lay asparagus on baking sheets and drizzle with marinade, rolling until completely covered. Roast for 10 minutes, then flip and roast for another ten minutes until just tender.

Meanwhile, combine 2 Tbsp olive oil, orange juice and lemon juice in a small dish.

When asparagus is done, scatter with avocado slices, then drizzle with citrus dressing. Dollop yogurt over the top and sprinkle with seeds.

20 comments:

Julie said...

What a unique recipe. Love asparagus, I would never think to mix it with avocado.

Angie's Recipes said...

I am a huge fan of asparagus, esp. the white one. I love the combination with avocado and citrus dressing here. YUM!

Natalie Aguirre said...

This definitely sounds like a recipe I need to try. Thanks so much!

Monica said...

I love when I can get my hands on good asparagus. This is such a surprising combination with the avocado, yogurt, and dressing. Sounds great!

Pam said...

Good Bronte quote for your post! Asparagus is the best, and yours looks delicious!

grace said...

ooooh, i like this! there are some unexpected ingredients, like cumin, which i love, and orange juice, which will wake up anything! the avocado is a great addition too!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, oh avocado and asparagus are two of my favorite foods, love this!!!

That Girl said...

It's been really warn here to. Which hasn't stopped be from roasting. Although it should.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I go a little crazy with asparagus when it's in season, too. Thanks for sharing a new, tasty way to serve it!!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcela said...

you just made my day... I'm such a sucker for asparagus... Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Asparagus name itself is intriguing. Loving this unique way of serving this most beloved veggie!

Anu
http://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/

Jemi Fraser said...

I do like asparagus and avocado - hadn't thought of combining them!

Kitchen Riffs said...

Yeah, asparagus is one of those things that's really good only when in season. So we go wild with it too! This looks like a super recipe -- so much going on, flavorwise. Thanks!

Katerina said...

I love asparagus and yogurt is the best choice to cool you and nourish you during summer!

Tricia Buice said...

All my favorites in one dish! I've never tried avocado and asparagus together like this but I will now. Thank you so much! Have a great weekend!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I would never have thought to pair asparagus with avocado…thanks for sharing your recipe.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

What a unique combo--looks delicious. I think a refrigerator full of asparagus is a good problem to have. It reminded me that I (again) forgot that I planned to pickle asparagus one of these years...

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Beth, although I did serve green asparagus topped with avocado the other day, I did not use the spices that you used. This sounds like a great recipe to try!
Andrea

Marcelle said...

Beth, this looks like a perfect summer side dish! I love the bright flavor combination you have here. 😍

Post a Comment