September's coming soon

Sunday, August 28, 2016

"Nightswimming,
Remembering that night
September's coming soon
I'm pining for the moon
And what if there were two
Side by side in orbit
Around the fairest sun?
The bright tide forever drawn
Could not describe nightswimming"

- from "Nightswimming," by REM

September is indeed coming soon, and I was looking for one last entree recipe this week that would be perfect for summer's end. I wanted to make a pasta dish that featured the zucchini and corn that are at their best right now. And I found exactly that, with pesto, bacon and grated parmesan to give it a bold flavour.

I scaled down the pasta from the original a little because I wanted the vegetables to shine, and they did. This recipe makes a large batch, but it's also perfect for next-day lunch leftovers, served at room temperature.



Zucchini, Corn and Pesto Fusilli

Adapted from Epicurious
Note: recipe could be halved

Ingredients

6 bacon slices
3 cups dry fusilli (or similar pasta)
3 ears of corn, kernels cut from cob
2 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped (1/2" pieces)
1 container (approximately 7 ounces) basil pesto
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Directions

Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Drain on paper towels; discard drippings from skillet.

Meanwhile, cook fusilli in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water, then add vegetables to pasta in pot. Cook, partially covered, for 2-3 minutes (the water will stop boiling, and that's okay). Drain.

Add pasta with vegetables to skillet, along with pesto and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water and toss. Season with salt and moisten with additional cooking water if necessary.

Top with crumbled bacon and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve warm (although room temperature leftovers the next day are also superb).



18 comments:

Unknown said...

My kind of pasta salad, I would love some of it! September coming makes me both sad and happy, this too short summer ends but still I happily anticipate the crisp autumn weather and its culinary delights. :)

Angie's Recipes said...

I am happy that pumpkin season is here :-) Your pasta looks mouthwatering!

That Girl said...

I bought so much zucchini today at the store to make the most of the last days of summer

That Girl said...

I bought so much zucchini today at the store to make the most of the last days of summer

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

I love pasta dishes like this one Beth, summer on a plate........

Marcelle said...

I can't wait for fall, it's my favorite season. This dish is perfect for what's left of this hot August though. Light and bright dish, great recipe Beth!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Looks great. I'll have to remember it for zucchini.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Yum!! Perfect way to showcase the best of summer! Have a wonderful week!!!

Jemi Fraser said...

Yum!!
Zucchini is so good right now :)

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Beth, what a beuatiful dish to celebrate late summer bounty! Love those types of seasonal pasta recipes!

Gloria Baker said...

Im surprise how the times go this year. Especially after the passing of my dad.
September is beauty herd because is spring ! Love this recipe Beth :)

Kitchen Riffs said...

What a wonderful looking dish! I love the combo of corn and zucchini. And with pasta? Yes, please. :-) Good stuff -- thanks.

grace said...

i'm often in favor of making the percentage of pasta less than the norm, and i can see why you'd want to do that hear! what a great dish!
meanwhile, where has this year gone?!

Monica said...

I can't believe it but it's inevitable...Sept. is almost here! I'd love to have this for dinner tonight. Hope you had a great summer.

Natalia said...

Yum, I love pasta dishes like this one, simple and delicious:)

Unknown said...

That poem in the beginning was just beautiful! I am definitely team zucchini right now and tomatoes ... peaches ... blueberries. Trying to enjoy every moment of summer.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

That definitely is a great way of having summer on a plate. Even though it is September now, luckily both veggies can still be found at the market.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

You can never have too many zucchini recipes! And I love the idea of fusilli--you are right that the pasta can dominate sometimes.

Post a Comment