Cheesy Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Strata

Sunday, October 23, 2016
The days are getting cooler and shorter now, and I'm starting to think about comfort food. And there isn't much that's more comforting than this simple breakfast strata. It always comes back to the cheese, doesn't it? There's enough of it in this recipe to warm you up on the coldest of days. But with both spinach and mushrooms in the recipe, you can convince yourself you're eating healthy, too. And don't let the name "Breakfast Strata" fool you - this is wonderful served any time of day.


Cheesy Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Strata
(adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

Ingredients

9 - 10 slices bacon, cooked, coarsely chopped, drippings reserved
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped or sliced
1 cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese (first amount)
1 small loaf of bread (about 10 ounces), slightly staled, cut into 3/4" cubes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup mozzarella cheese (second amount)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Fresh chives, chopped (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Heat 2 Tbsp of the reserved bacon drippings in a 10" skillet and place over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until all the moisture has been released and has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and return to the heat.

Add the spinach to the pan and toss, cooking just until slightly wilted but still bright green. Remove from the pan and turn off the heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs until completely blended, seasoning them with salt and fresh black pepper. Add cheddar cheese, 1 cup mozzarella and bread, and fold together with a spatula until all the bread has been moistened.

Turn mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, pressing down if necessary. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the strata is set and the top is golden brown.

Sprinkle with chives (if using) and serve. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge up to 3 days.





18 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Have never made strata before...this looks really comforting, satisfying and delicious. I think I would enjoy it any time of the day.

That Girl said...

I mean with all that cheese you could put anything in that strata and I'd devour it!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I love making stratas for company. Yours is full of all my favorites---though Bill would pick out the mushrooms! He's used to that, though!

Marcelle said...

I agree that this looks delicious for any time of the day! I love savory strata and this a great combination of ingredients, Beth. Will definitely make this soon!

Natalie Aguirre said...

This looks awesome, though I would delete the bacon.

Velva said...

My family would be all over this! Delicious. This is a great strata to serve up for family and friends as the holidays fast approach.

Velva

scrambledhenfruit said...

This looks great! I could eat this at any time of day- I love breakfast for dinner. :)

Monica said...

Cozy comfort food to share is the best and this really is the time when it's appreciated more than ever.

Unknown said...

I would love this for dinner. A comforting, hearty meal with no side dish required.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Your strata looks perfectly cooked Beth, love comforting foods like this.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Your strata looks perfectly cooked Beth, love comforting foods like this.

Unknown said...

I've never had a strata before, I'd like to try it. Anything with cheese in is fine by me!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

The last strata I tried was really bland. Probably should have used bacon ;-)

Kitchen Riffs said...

I eat a fairly light breakfast, so this would be dinner for me. Looks wonderful, and good any time of the day. Cheese really is comfort food, isn't it? Anyway, thanks for this.

Unknown said...

How cozy and comfy meal. Cheese, spinach and mushroom go so well together. Thanks for this wonderful share.

Anu
www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/

grace said...

blankets of melted cheese get me every time. :)

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

I adore breakfast casseroles any time of the year. It always makes your day go better when you start it with something good. Yum!

Unknown said...

Hello Beth. The dish looks stunning! I'm dying to taste it now..

PS. It's Marcela from tastefolio. I had to take a break in cooking and started to take more pictures of things that surrounds me. I don't have a 'real' blog rather than portfolio, but I keep sharing my snaps at my fb page: http://fabebook.com/marrific

Post a Comment