Pandemic baking

Sunday, August 2, 2020
So apparently it took a pandemic to get me blogging again.

I've been so busy over the past three years with travelling, and working as a travel writer, that I let my blog go. But now that I'm not travelling any more ... and I'm baking up a storm ... there's no time like the present to start posting again.

I've been baking this lemon pie nearly as long as my blog has been on hiatus, and the recipe deserves a home. I love lemon desserts, and although this one's named after a beach, it works any time of the year.

Here's to lemon desserts and new beginnings. 
Atlantic Beach Pie
(from The New York Times)

Ingredients

1 1/2 sleeves saltine crackers (about 60 crackers)
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) at room temperature

4 egg yolks
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pinch of kosher salt

Fresh whipped cream
Lemon zest

To make the crust, heat oven to 350 degrees. Using a food processor or a rolling pin, pulse or crush the crackers finely, stopping before crackers turn to dust. Add sugar, then add butter and combine. Press into and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Freeze for 15 minutes, then bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the crust gets a little colour. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.

To make the filling, whisk egg yolks into condensed milk, then whisk in the lemon juice and salt. Combine completely.

Pour into the shell and bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until the filling has set. Refrigerate until completely cold, at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Serve with whipped cream and lemon zest.


12 comments:

Martha said...

Welcome back Beth! I've just returned to blogging during the pandemic too. Your lemon pie sounds delicious. Best of luck with your return to blogs, not too many of our old followers still blogging these days. I've been hoping the pandemic will bring other back too. Have a great week!

Beth said...

How lovely to hear from you, Martha! I honestly didn't know if anyone in my blogging community was still around. On my way to check out your latest post!

Angie's Recipes said...

Beth, so glad to see you back with such a delicious lemon pie. I love the sound of that condensed milk lemon filling.

Beth said...

Thanks, Angie! It's good to be back.

Bonnie said...

Yum! Lemon is my favorite flavor. Love seeing you on my feed this morning. I, too, have been away. I logged in last week in hopes of resurrecting my blog as well. Again, so good to see you! Happy Monday!

Beth said...

It's the perfect time to start blogging again, isn't it Bonnie? So nice to be reconnecting with the blogging community!

Gloria Baker said...

Im so happy you blog again, always I miss you!!
I love this lemon pie!! welcome again!!!

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

Hi Beth. Good to see you back. I just love this pie!

Beth said...

Thanks, Gloria and Abbe! It's good to be back.

Recetas al instante said...

Wow this looks delicious.
I love lemon pie.
I am going to try this way.

Olga.

Marg said...

Welcome back to blogging! I do love lemony things so this looks delicious!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Welcome back to the blogging world and what a treat to start out with this lemon pie. I've heard of saltine crusts before but have never had one or seen a recipe for one...thank you.

Post a Comment