Snow Day

Sunday, February 6, 2011


When I was growing up, I lived on a farm and relied on the school bus to take me to school.  Most of my friends did too, with only a small handful of kids being close enough to walk.  So when there was a big snowfall, school was often cancelled.

Until this winter, my kids had never experienced a snow day.  We live a block from the elementary school, and even my high schooler commutes easily by city bus.  They used to listen enviously while I regaled them with the story of missing school for a week one March when we were completely without electricity.  (Having lived through it, I assure them it wasn’t all that great.  Fun at first, by the end it was pretty boring.  And really cold.)

This week, thanks to overexcited media reports, the school board elected to cancel all classes for the day.  And of course the much-hyped storm turned out to be not much at all.  But having heard those overexcited media reports all of the previous day, I had bought baking supplies in case we couldn’t get out.

Both girls ended up seeing their friends, but there was time for baking, too.  We made a batch of Chocolate Chip Orange muffins for our super-nice neighbours, the Goodwins, who shoveled our drive for us.  No we’re not shut-ins and we haven’t broken our arms.  They’re just super-nice.

We made these sticky buns for ourselves.  This is a dangerously easy recipe for the most amazing cinnamon buns you’ll ever eat.  With a base of frozen puff pastry, you can whip them up in about ten minutes. I only make a half-batch of these at a time, because to have twelve sticky buns in my house would be to invite trouble.  It’s a great reason to keep puff pastry in the freezer, because you never know when the next snow day will come.
Sticky buns, rolled up and ready to be baked
Easy Sticky Buns

This recipe makes a full batch.  I generally cut it in half to make six buns.

12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup pecans, chopped in large pieces
1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted

For the filling:
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place a 12-cup standard muffin tin on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

In an electric mixer, beat the 12 Tbsp butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar.  Divide evenly between the 12 muffin cups.  Distribute the pecan pieces evenly on top.

Lightly flour a wooden board.  Unfold one sheet of puff pastry and brush it with 1 Tbsp melted butter.  Leaving a 1/2 inch border, sprinkle each sheet with 1/3 cup of the brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon and 1/2 cup of the raisins.  Starting with the end nearest you, roll the pastry up snugly like a jelly roll around the filling.  Slice the roll in six equal pieces.  Place each piece, spiral side up, in 6 of the muffin cups.  Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry to make 12 sticky buns.

Bake for 22 – 25 minutes, until the sticky buns are golden on top and firm to the touch.  Allow to cool for five minutes ONLY, then invert the buns onto the parchment paper, easing the filling and pecans out onto the buns with a spoon.  Cool completely.


36 comments:

Brownieville Girl said...

I loved snow days when I was a kid too ... actually I quite like them as an adult!!!!!!

Wonderful way to use the day - I can just imagine the wonderful smells coming from your kitchen.

Katerina said...

The media sometimes carry a completely distorted view of things. It was a nice break though for your kids. Great buns and easy!

Emma said...

mmm I love sticky buns but usually don't make them because you have to make the pastry but now I know you can make them with puff pastry I think I'll give it a go!

Kayte said...

Super nice neighbors indeed! We had three snow days last week...and six new inches of snow yesterday, oh boy...lol. I grew up relying on school bus rides also, it was cold waiting for that bus every morning! On winter days you never knew how long it would take if there was a little snow or a little ice so we would have to wait for what seemed like forever in the cold. Nope, don't want to go back to those days! Your cinnamon rolls look great, just the thing for a snowy day.

Anonymous said...

I lived for snow days when I was a kid! I don't remember ever baking on a snow day, but it sounds like the perfect thing to do.

Needful Things said...

Who would have thought of making sticky buns with puff pastry! Genius! And they look so good too. We get rained-in quite frequently lately, so I'm bookmarking this recipe for the next time we find ourselves with nothing to do.Thanks so much for sharing!

Carol said...

Such nice neighbors! and so nice of you to share the muffins! I'm sure the snow day was a lot of fun, we've been having quite a few of them here lately! We do the same thing, nothing like baking on a snow day! Those Buns look amazing, bet your house smelled so good!

Belinda said...

What adorable sticky buns!! Especially when it's cold...perfect way to warm up.

Jess said...

Those look incredible! Too bad it's snowing up a storm right now, and I can't get to the store for ingredients :(

Claudia said...

I couldn't stop at just one. I'd have to freeze them also. Our blizzard and heavy snowfalls all came one weekends. No snow days in MN ... yet.

Valerie Gamine said...

I'm glad you and your daughters were able to get in some quality baking time, what better way to pass the hours during a pseudo snow storm. :D

The sticky buns look delicious! Puff pastry has infinate possibilities.

Joanne said...

Oh the beauty of snow days ... sweet food baking in the oven :)

We've had so many snow days here, any more will require the schools to start taking days away from Spring vacation to make up the lost time.

Faith said...

What a great time you guys had. There's nothing better than getting together in this cold weather and bake. This would be my favortie past time. The buns look fantastic Beth. Send some my way next time you make some!

Have a great week ahead.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love snow days? We got so much snow/ice last week that we had 4 snow days in a row...and that is crazy since I work for an inner-city school! These sticky buns look perfect...wish I had one right now! Yum! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your recipe for sticky buns with puff pastry, definitely doable and I'm looking forward to making this with 5 star foodie junior!

Anonymous said...

Snow days are the best. I still look forward to them for my boys. Always a fun day, and baking is a must. I will have to try these sticky buns--I always have puffed pastry on hand!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Yes, the weather people can make up-coming storms sound much worse than they are. But you did make your day special! The sticky buns could warm any heart. They look delicious :)

Ann said...

These look fabulous! I wanted to give you the Stylish Blogger Award. Pick it up over at my blog. (if you want)Just want you to how much I like your blog!

Ann said...

I wanted to give you the Stylish Blogger Award. Pick it up over at my blog. (if you want)Just want you to how much I like your blog!

cocoa and coconut said...

I love the ingredients you've used in the filling. Looks delicious! I've never experienced a snow day but would love to experience this yummy treats

Kristen said...

I can only say, "YUM."

Sue said...

So simple, and delicious too-perfect! Never had a snow day, but I think I might like being "stuck" in the house baking:) Yesterday it was so nice that my little neighbor was out playing in the sprinklers;)

Monet said...

Now this would be the perfect way to spend a snow day. Austin canceled classes on Friday...we only had an inch of snow! Growing up in Colorado, I had quite a few snow days, but I don't think we ever made anything this yummy. Thank you for sharing, my blogging friend! I'm sending you wishes for a happy and delicious week!

Carolyn said...

Beth, you won my salt pot giveaway! Email me at carketch29 (at) yahoo (dot) com with your mailing address and I will send you one of the gorgeous Crosby and Taylor salt pots.

Unknown said...

We are having a sort of heat wave here, yesterday was 85 degrees in the afternoon and my husband and I played golf, It felt like Summer.
I'm going for a hike this am and am starting to think about recipes using strawberries! I would love a snow day with homemade sticky buns, they sound so good. Stay warm and I hope you get a break in your weather. have a nice week;-)

Barbara said...

Ina's sticky buns are a delight. We have them every Christmas morning. It's become a tradition! So easy to make on a busy morning too.

We used to have lots of snow days when my kids were young...Florida doesn't get many of these. :) But we do get hurricane days!

Jen said...

Oh goodness! I'll definitely be making these :D And I can see why you only make a few at a time! I might eat those for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

Hope you're staying warm!!
Cheers,
Jen

Kimberly Franklin said...

Baking on a snow day is the best! YUM!!

xoxo, The BooKrushers.

Kristen said...

I'm completely over snow days this year. But don't those buns look delicious!!!

Sweet And Crumby said...

I have tasted this recipe before and these are fantastic and super simple. Glad you featured them and happy for you that you have super nice neighbors! Have a great day Beth!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Beth, those sticky buns look wonderful and I love how easy they are to make. I'd say it was a snow day well-spent. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

La Bella Cooks said...

My kids would do anything for a snow day but unfortunately (for them at least!) we do not live in a snowy climate. These sticky buns are perfect for any weather. Yummy!

Reeni said...

That must of been so fun to have their first snow day! Here, the schools have used all theirs up already, we've had an extraordinary amount of snow. The cinnamon rolls are scrumptious treats - love the raisins in them!

MTeacress said...

So when you say it wasn't much of a storm, how much snow did you actually get? We haven't had much snow this year, and I'm sort of feeling left out. ;)

FOODESSA said...

I don't mind a few complex recipes...however, easy ones to put togehter are a real joy to have on hand.

Thanks for sharing your buns with us Beth. LOL

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Rita said...

Amazing!!! What great easy recipe; as I am writing it is getting printed.
Spring is hopefully around the corner.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I love easy!
Rita

Post a Comment