Blog indexes, and a blogging award

Tuesday, February 8, 2011
When I started this blog last July, it was just for fun.  I love writing, baking and travelling, so the idea of writing about my baking and travelling seemed perfect.

But the longer I keep this blog, the more I’ve realized I need a way to organize it.  If I’ve blogged about a recipe, it’s easier for me to find it online than to pull a cookbook out.  And when people ask me for the recipe, I can send them a link.

Of course the more I post, the more challenging it’s been to find a specific recipe.  So the index will be helpful to me, and hopefully to my readers, too.  In addition to indexing my recipes by category (cookies, cakes, pie, etc), I’ve included a grouping called “Recipes that use buttermilk”.  Whenever I buy buttermilk, I end up scrambling to find another recipe that will use the rest.  Check out my recipe index by clicking on the tab at the top of my blog.

I’ve also added a travel index, so if you’re curious about eating at the Shake Shack in New York or staying in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco, you can find it via the travel index tab at the top.

I’m also thrilled to be the recipient of the Stylish Blogger award.  A big thank you to two wonderful bloggers who nominated me: Ali Cross, and Ann of Apples and Twinkies.  I’m supposed to share a few things about myself when I accept this award.  But rather than making a long post even longer, here are the facts with the links in case you want to read more!

  1. My favourite band is The National.
  2. My daughter and her friends still talk about the cookies I baked for their softball tournament.
  3. I did not eat the edible insects we saw in Beijing.
  4. I read Proust in France – sort of.
  5. I’m a Scorpio.
  6. My friends run a fantastic cancer fundraiser called “Read For The Cure”.
  7. I really had a Grandma Baker
And I’d like to pass on the award to some blogs that I love:

Anecdotes and Apple Cores – Every time I read Monet’s blog, I feel like I’m getting to know a really wonderful person just a little better.

Cinnamon Spice – Reeni amazes me with the number of original recipes she publishes.  I loved her  orange cream cheese frosting, and hope to post more of her fabulous recipes!

Comfortably Domestic – I enjoy reading Kirsten’s stories about baking and family life so much, I can forgive her for being a Red Wings’ fan.

Moveable Feasts – Anyone who names her blog after an Ernest Hemingway book must have a lot to say, and Barbara doesn’t disappoint!

Munchkin Munchies – Sue posts the cutest crafts, and baking that she shares with her adorable grandchildren.

One Perfect Bite – Mary posts a great array of sweet and savory recipes, and many of them are her own beautiful creations.

Zomppa – Zomppa is a collaborative blog between ten women who write about travel and food, and post fabulous photos.

39 comments:

Barbara said...

Beth, I am so honored to receive your award! I've loved getting to know you and especially reading about your far flung travels to places I'll never see! Thank you so much and I'll put the award on my awards page right now.

Kayte said...

Fun read, as always! I read Proust, not in France, but in French...does that count? I hope so, it was quite the undertaking but there is nothing like reading Proust in French, except reading Proust in French in FRANCE. And, I, too had a Grandma Baker but we called her Granny Baker and my boys always called her Granny Cookie Baker because she always made them cookies and they thought that was her name! Cute. So from one Baker to another...Have a great week!

Carol said...

Great idea to index! Congrats on the award, very well deserved, I enjoy reading about your adventures and your recipes!

Belinda said...

You're so sweet!! Thank you - it's an honor! It's fun to get to know you better - lucky to have a Grandma Baker. I'm a big fan of some of these, and great to meet some new folks!

Jess said...

Awwww, I wish I could've met Grandma Baker! Perfect idea about the recipes--and THANK YOU for the buttermilk section. It's so true that I always have leftover milk to use. (oddly enough, it's the same thing with parsely...they sell it by the huge bunch and recipes only call for a couple of sprigs...poor parsley!)

Joanne said...

Congrats on blogging in style with your Stylish Award ... Congrats to your fellow nominees as well :)

Anonymous said...

Indexing on the blog is definitely a great idea, also another good idea is to add a search button, such as google, it really helps. Congrats on your award!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, great idea about indexing. And congrats on the award! So fun to find new blogs. :)

Valerie Gamine said...

Congratulations on the reward!
It's a great idea to add an index to your blog, it will make it much easier for your readers to navigate through your fabulous blog. :-)

Did you notice how time flies when you blog?!

Claudia said...

Congrats on the award! Did you read Proust in France - sort of - en francais? Love the idea of organizing the blog - I should... it's not like I want to go out and play in below zero F weather!

FOODESSA said...

Beth...I scramble for recipes either using extra egg whites or egg yolks... Hubby makes fun of me...I'm so organized that I've somehow become disorganized.

Congrats on your well deserved award. You're always a pleasure to visit ;o)

Ciao for now,
Claudia

chow and chatter said...

congrats on a much deserved award enjoy your blog a lot

Jeanne said...

I love the new indices! Very helpful for browsing and searching. Congrats on the award, you're definitely a deserving recipient! :)

Ann said...

I love the indexing idea! Good job. Love your list

Julie Musil said...

What a great idea to index your posts! I have this feeling I would loooove living in your house with all those goodies. Yum.

Lindsay said...

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing your favourite blogs!

Anonymous said...

I agree, Reeni and her creations are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your award, and I enjoyed reading a little more about you! I do enjoy Reeni's blog!

The Words Crafter said...

It's so cool that you travel! And cook!!! Mary (One Perfect Bite) post some amazing recipes. Congratulations on your award and also to the recipients.

Reeni said...

Congratulations on your award and thanks for sharing those tidbits about yourself! How neat that you have a Grandma Baker. I've only been reading your blog a short time but feel like I 'know' you. Thank you very much for thinking of me and for your kind words!

cocoa and coconut said...

Well done on your award!

Anonymous said...

You are so sweet! Thanks for passing the award on to me, although I don't really see a reason for "forgiveness" for being a Red Wings fan--isn't everyone. ;)I figure since we are both fans of original 6 teams, then its all good.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award!
I always want to improve my blog's organization, but I need to prioritize my bedroom closet and my makeup bag. Life is hard ;)

p.s. Your mixing bowls are in the mail...Finally! E-mail me if you don't see them in the next week.

Monet said...

This made my night. I am so honored to be mentioned here. Your blog has been a glimmer of brightness in my day for some time now. I'm also working on organizing my blog (it is a project!) Thanks for always making me smile with your words, photos and recipes. I hope that your Wednesday is full of joy!

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

I love The National! Great choice!

Kittie Howard said...

Congrats on the well-deserved awards! And great getting to know you, Beth. Like how you're indexing categories. I'm one for thinking, hmmmm, what can I cook tonight that would be different? and think back to a recipe I saw, but don't quite remember when, so end up in the archives. Thanks for doing this; you've got some great recipes.

It would be soooo wonderful if "every child could blossom." Nice how you worded it, very nice!

Katerina said...

It is a great thing to index your recipes. You can find them more easily. Congratulations on your award, you sure deserve Beth.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Congratulations on your well-deserved awards and a big thank you for including me among the bloggers you are sharing it with. I am most appreciative. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Sue said...

What a great idea to add an index! I really need to follow suit. CONGRATS on your award(I'm not surprised)! Thank you so much for handing it to me! I truly enjoy your blog, so it's extra special to receive it:)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your award! I like your idea of a recipe and travel index, it really makes sense for your to organize your blog this way. I've been thinking about a recipe index as well.
It is nice to be able to find things even on a blog;-)

Rita said...

Congratulations!
I have been thinking of making some kind of index for all my recipes. I have now idea how to do this; have been reding about it. If you have a plan would love to hear about it.
Rita

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award!

And thank you for introducing me to Racing Like a Pro. I looked it up. It's a beautiful song.

Anne R. Allen said...

Great blog. I love blogs with recipes. You might find that one of the Blogger gadgets will organize things for you. If you blog about a "buttermilk recipe" --tag it as such, and then look in the list of gadgets. I forget what it's called, but it will produce a list in the sidebar of all your posts, categorized by tag.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It's always fun to hear from somebody new!

julie said...

Love your indexes! Now I need to go surf around them for a bit and catch up on everything I haven't read yet. Congrats on your award as well, it's well deserved!

Lorraine said...

I love your recipe and travel index. That must have taken a quite a while to put together. That really makes it so much easier to find a recipe. I would like to do that too...someday..lol

Congratulations on your awards. You have a wonderful blog and I enjoyed learning some things about you:)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your well deserved award daahling!
*kisses* HH

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your well deserved award & congrats to the others too!

I also love Reeni's & Barbara's blog a lot!

Trish Feehan said...

Great news, Beth. Congrats!

Susanne K. Fletcher said...

Congratulations Beth. You are an inspiration in so many ways.

Post a Comment