Goodbye to Summer

Sunday, September 18, 2011
I love the summer and everything associated with it.  Barbecues, swimming, camp for the girls and a family trip for all of us – it doesn’t get better than that.

But there’s one great thing about the end of summer, and that’s the beginning of fall.  As much as I love the fresh fruits and vegetables that I buy all summer, I love the flavours of autumn at least as much.  Apples, pears, pumpkins and squash are just the beginning.

But how do you make the seasonal transition?  Do you go from Raspberry Buttermilk Cake one day to Apple Pear Cherry Crisp the next?  You could – and I’d never argue with that – but if you’re looking for a more gentle transition, try this recipe for Upside Down Peach Gingerbread.  It sounds like a bit of a mismatch; gingerbread is perfect for fall and winter, while peaches are the epitome of summer.  But please don’t let that prejudice you against it.  I can’t tell you how awesome this dessert is, or how often I went back for just another quarter-inch slice.  The peaches and ginger played perfectly off each other, like the beautiful September day that has August’s bright sun and October’s cool, clear air.

Upside Down Peach Gingerbread

Topping:
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp water
3 cups peeled, pitted, sliced fresh peaches

Cake:
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" square cake pan.

To make the topping: Melt the butter with the sugar and water, until butter is melted. Spread into the prepared pan. Top with the peaches, placing the slices side by side in a neat single layer.
To make the cake: Beat the butter, brown sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt together until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in the molasses. Gently stir in both flours, then the buttermilk or yogurt. Spoon the batter (it will be thick) into the prepared pan, atop the peaches. Gently spread it to reach the edges of the pan.  Bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove it from the oven, wait 1 minute, then invert it onto a rack. Lift the pan off, and place any peaches that remain in the pan back atop the cake. Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice cream, whipped cream, or just as it is. 

33 comments:

Tasha said...

I love gingerbread, but have never tried it paired with any kind of fruit. It does sound like a perfect dessert for the transition of the seasons.

laurie said...

I have never had this combo..it sounds really good!

Joanne said...

Dessert? With a salad on the side, this could be dinner for me!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I bet my husband would like this. Thanks.

Taryn said...

Mm, this sounds perfect for the snappy New York weather we're having right now!

Valerie Gamine said...

Ooo, peach and gingerbread sound lovely! Something this delicious makes Fall seem less intimidating. :)

Mary said...

This sounds like a great combination to me. I adore peaches in just about anything and gingerbread would make me happily think of the holidays. I like this!

Belinda said...

I just LOVE the fall - and love fall flavors. This is a great farewell-welcome!

Kayte said...

That looks wonderful. BUT, SHHHHHH on that goodbye summer thing, let's pretend we don't see it coming for awhile longer, shall we? ;-) I'm in denial.

Reeni said...

This is like the bridge leading from summer to fall, the delicious bridge. Pear and gingerbread sound like wonderful companions with all those warm, rich spices!

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely intrigued by the juxtaposition of the peaches and the gingerbread, but the more I think about it, the more I can see how the warmth and the sweetness and the spices must play together. What a lovely creation.

On another note, apparently I've been living in some sort of super-box because I never thought of upside-downing anything besides pineapple.

Right? Right.

Anonymous said...

Sunny, crisp September days are my favorite ushers into fall. Peaches and gingerbread sound like an excellent accompaniment to those days. I adore peached & ginger together, so I fear that I would be going back for half slices rather than your more sensible quarter slices.

Joanne said...

usually I make my transition by just jumping into cooking with pumpkin, but I'm feeling a bit more nostalgic about summer fruit this year. And this delicious cake isn't helping!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy said...

Just as you depart summer, I am entering spring and I have book marked this lovely recipe to make once peaches come in to season here.

Barbara said...

Sounds like a great combo to me, Beth. I love fall too...wish we had more of it in Florida!

Rita said...

Love fall very much; time to return to that routine I need in my life. Your cake look so good I can almost taste it.
Rita

Trisha said...

I'm not much a cook, but I LOVE to eat. I would eat all this in a flash! hehe

Angela said...

Oh, wow. That upside down peach ginger bread looks way too tempting. Good thing I cannot take a bite our of my computer screen.

Carol said...

Delicious transition!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Great goodbye to summer cake!

Miriam said...

That cake looks amazing!!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Peaches + Gingerbread = Fabulous transitional dessert!!!! This sounds wonderful!!!

lisa is cooking said...

I love peaches with ginger, so this does sound perfect. I like this way of easing into fall!

Kathy said...

What a wonderful combo...Peaches and gingerbread! Sounds awesome!

Elaine said...

Mmm...peaches and gingerbread sound like a marvelous combination and a perfect transition from summer to fall.

Allison said...

This is the perfect bridge between summer and fall cake. I love gingerbread.

Haddock said...

Looks yummy and so I presume it must be great. If I get a piece I can tell for sure :-)

Katerina said...

Thank you Beth for stopping by my blog! It is so good to be back. This cake is the perfect treat for me as I visit your -newly to me shaped-blog! It is very beautiful!

Ashlea Taylor said...

This looks so great! I recently did a pineapple upside down cake for the first time and loved it. The combo of peaches and this bread sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I also love the flavors of autumn.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

Amazing flavors here and it's so pretty! I love ginger and I'm sure it pairs beautifully with the peaches!

nancy at good food matters said...

lovely farewell to summer! peaches and ginger make a fabulous flavor combo!

Amie Kaufman said...

Oh, yum. It's spring here, so we're transitioning from cold to hot. I think I might have to cheat and go with canned peached, but I'm going to try making this one this weekend. Yuuuum.

Post a Comment