Late Summer

Sunday, September 4, 2011


Labour Day weekend is often a time of melancholy.  A time when people lament, “Where did the summer go?” and “How can it be fall already?”  A time when people close their cottages, and line up at the mall for back-to-school clothes.

Here’s my big secret: I actually love this time of year.

Not because the girls are going back to school and our schedule is about to ramp up again.  I’ll miss the quiet days of summer when we just hang out.  But at this time of year, I’m grateful for every warm day, for every minute of sunshine, for every fruit or vegetable I’m still able to buy at the farmers’ market. 

When I picked up my blueberries on Friday, the vendor told me it was the last week they’d be available.  So there was no question that I’d be making individual peach and blueberry cobblers again.  I’ve already made them twice in the last two weeks and will make them again today to take to a friend’s house.  These cobblers are the best way I can think of to use the juicy peaches and tart berries that are still available in September.

I’m embarrassed that I didn’t take a photo of a partially-eaten cobbler so you could see how great the fruit looks inside.  What can I say?  The minute I started eating it, I apparently went into a trance from which I didn’t awaken until I was done.  Despite my best photographic intentions, the same thing happened every time I ate one (including one mortifying episode when I ate one for breakfast).  You’ll just have to make them yourself to find out.

Individual Peach and Blueberry Cobblers
(adapted from Martha Stewart)

4 ripe peaches, cut into eighths
1 cup blueberries
2 Tbsp sugar (first amount)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cornstarch
1 large egg
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar (second amount)
1 Tbsp sugar (third amount)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine peaches and blueberries in a bowl.  Whisk together 2 Tbsp sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.  Add to fruit and toss to combine. Set aside. 

Combine egg, melted butter and cream in a bowl and whisk with a fork.  Set aside.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and 1 Tbsp sugar.  Make a well in centre of dry ingredients, and pour egg mixture into well.  Slowly draw dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and work dough until just mixed together.  (The dough will be quite sticky.)

Divide fruit mixture amount four 8-ounce ramekins.  Divide dough into four sections and gently spread each section over the fruit in a ramekin.  After placing, sprinkle dough with remaining 1 Tbsp of sugar.  Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake 15 to 17 minutes.  Serve warm.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fruit - you can eat it for breakfast!

Beth said...

Jill, it's hard to argue with that!

laxsupermom said...

These sound wonderful! I often have that problem, too, where I forget to take that perfect fork shot, because I'm just to busy eating. Thanks for sharing.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, boy, this looks like a fabulous recipe! I think I must love all crisps and cobblers as I gravitate to these recipes! Yours is a keeper...especially with the individual servings :)

Mary said...

Mortifying? I think not. Peach cobbler is my all-time favorite breakfast, especially when topped with a bit of real vanilla ice cream.

I LOVE this time of year too. Although, your cooler weather won't arrive here in the desert for at least 2 more months. I'm so very impatient for fall!

Deniz Bevan said...

Yum, cobbler and fruits... I enjoy autumn too. Not just the leaves changing colour and being able to wear fun stockings and sweaters again, but... Well, it's mostly that. And lots of yummy pens and papers and pencils on sale. I still draft everything by hand!

Sue said...

Love the individual size~maybe it would prevent me from picking up a fork and eating out of the family size pan!

Claudia said...

It's a beauty - especially for the late-summer peaches that have cropped up. I love autumn but in MN it's too short and well... winter follows.

cocoa and coconut said...

Hahah this has happened to me before as well! Everytime I plan on photographing something, it will disappear first! I love cobblers that are filled with fresh fruits. I will definitely try out this recipe soon.

Ps. I've missed reading your posts

Anonymous said...

Those cobblers must have been super delicious! Perfect with peaches and blueberries!

Taryn said...

These are adorable - perfect for a family picnic.

Valerie Gamine said...

Nothing like 'limited edition' fruit to make us want to bake. :-)

I'm sure your cobblers were scrumptious!

Tasha said...

I never had blueberries and peaches together in a dessert, but it sounds lovely and oh-so summery!

Lorraine said...

This time of year does really make me appreciate all of the things I maybe took for granted all summer long. Good luck to your girls in school, wishing them a very happy school year.

Your cobbler sounds wonderful. I would definitely eat it for breakfast too:)

Jess said...

Yum! I've got several peaches just hanging out in my kitchen and now you've given them a purpose! Thanks, Beth :)

Kayte said...

I am a summer gal...no doubt about it, but it is rather nice to have a fall season (unfortunately it is followed by that dreaded winter season which I like only around the Christmas holidays and then right back to summer in my mind!). Cobblers are a favorite part of fall, I never seem to heat up the oven to make them in the summer, so fall always finds it cobbler/crisp/pie season around here...blueberries and peaches are a match made in heaven. It's good it was enjoyed!

Beloved Green said...

I am with you, I love the fall. Something about the slightly crisper weather makes me feel so at home. Lovely cobbler.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I had a taste of a peach and blueberry pie at dinner the other night. This recipe looks promising!

Barbara said...

Fall is my favorite too, Beth. And cobblers are a perfect way to celebrate the turning of the trees, football, school and crisp weather. I can smell the cider mill now....

Kristen said...

I have been known to consume fruit desserts for breakfast, too; especially when summer is drawing to a close and really fresh fruit is being harvested.

Barbara Jean said...

Wonderful!!! I made a couple of peach crisps this summer, and was wondering if they'd work to make them as individual servings. Thanks for this recipe! (PS, I love fall too, as you'll see in my latest post!)

Anonymous said...

I'm basically insanely jealous of this arrangement - when I went to the store last week, all of the peaches they had out had "changed" and it made me want to weep - I'm just not ready to give up the ghost yet!

Susanne K. Fletcher said...

As the "friends" who were the benefactors of the fruits of your labour (pun intended) I can speak for my entire family and report that these cobblers were delicious. Thank you so much Beth for treating us. What a fun evening we had.

Joanne said...

The peach/blueberry combo is certainly one of the best! I'm sure this cobbler was great! I love your attitude about how the end of summer makes you appreciate each day all the more!

Beth said...

Susanne, we had a great evening too. Thanks for your wonderful hospitality!

Rita said...

Blueberries and peach in a cobbler has to be so good! I have done that quite a few times...forgot to take a picture...
Rita

Julie said...

I love blueberries and peaches together. A perfect end of summer dessert!

Unknown said...

I love your honesty! and your fruit cobbler:-)
Many times I wonder how we get any pictures taken!? I would eat this for breakfast in a heart beat;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, sounds tasty.

I love this time of the year. Yes, it's a time to appreciate summer and it's transition to fall.

Carol said...

Looks delicious! I love this time of year. Great shot!

Emily Malloy said...

So Lovely!

Kathleen said...

These look delish! I'm still obsessed with peaches!

Anonymous said...

Thesse cobblers look amazing - there's nothing like fresh, juicy summer peaches and berries. However, since I'm a 'Fall' girl..I'm thinking apple and pumpkin cobbler with caramel, ASAP. Love this time of year!

BTW - The rest of the chocolate sauce gets shoved wayyy in the back of the fridge, covered by the OJ and Milk cartons lol

Ryan said...

I'm ready for fall too but will miss delicious cobblers like this! Peach and blueberry are my favorite cobbler fillings and this looks so good! I may have to scramble for some late peaches!!

Ashlea Taylor said...

Oh wow, I have to make these asap! Why we still have such good fruit. Thank you for sharing!

Elaine said...

I made peach cobbler often during the summer, but never think to add blueberries. It sounds like a great combination.

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy said...

I am so excited for peach season here in Australia! I had a peach cobbler recipe up my sleeve but I think I will try this one instead :)

Post a Comment