Burrito bowls

Monday, February 4, 2013
I don't serve a lot of beef, and I'm not sure why I don't.  I grew up on a farm, and it was a staple of many of our meals. Steak has the reputation of being too expensive and it often seems too fancy for anything other than a special dinner.  But in these burrito bowls, a little bit goes a long way, and you can serve it for the most casual of meals.

If I'd posted this recipe a week ago, I would have told suggested that you make it for your Superbowl party.  Instead, I'll tell you to serve it whenever you want a delicious, healthy, filling meal.  The abundance of kale, brown beans and red peppers make it a great nutritional choice.  I'm not really a calorie-counter, but if you are, this hearty meal has less than 400 calories per serving.  And no one will leave the table feeling hungry.





Steak and Brown Rice Burrito Bowl
(from Canadian Living, Feb 2013 issue)

1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
12 ounces beef tenderloin grilling steaks (about 2)
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder
3 cups thinly sliced stemmed kale (about half a bunch)
1 sweet red pepper, sliced

Black Beans and Rice

1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup whole grain parboiled brown rice
3/4 cup rinsed drained canned black beans
1/2 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
1/4 tsp salt

To make black beans and rice:  In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook garlic, chili powder, coriander and cumin, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Stir in 1 1/4 cups water, rice, beans, strained tomatoes, and salt.  Bring to boil, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Let stand, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir together coriander, cumin and half of the salt; rub all over steaks.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; cook steaks, turning once, until medium-rare, 7 – 8 minutes.  Transfer to plate and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing thinly.

Meanwhile, in same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onion and chili powder until softened, about 3 minutes.  Stir in kale, red pepper, 3 Tbsp water and remaining salt.  Cook, stirring often, until kale is wilted and peppers are tender-crisp, about 6 minutes.

Divide rice mixture among bowls.  Top with kale mixture and steak.

27 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The beef is cooked to perfection. I tend to over cook them. A hearty and delicious meal served with brown rice.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I think your beef looks beautiful, that pink is perfect :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm a vegetarian, so I might try this by leaving out the meat. It might add some zing to our black beans and rice. Thanks for sharing this Beth.

Valerie Gamine said...

Sometimes I crave beef- and yet I never know how to prepare it! This looks wonderful, Beth!

Anonymous said...

I don't eat a lot of beef either, but this does sound hearty. I like the name, too!

Bonnie said...

Beth, This sounds delicious, and it is something my husband would enjoy. For the Super Bowl we had our usual salmon over sautéd spinach and white beans. Enjoy the week. Bonnie

Belinda said...

I could eat this morning, noon, and night.

Jess said...

I just got kale and red pepper and skirt steak at the store~ maybe I'll try for a variation on this!

Stina said...

Yum, except I'd have to cook the meat more. *starts to drool*

Jemi Fraser said...

We like all those ingredients! Looks great :)

Lorraine said...

Great dish! Wonderful flavors:)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, how yummy! I love that it's full of such wonderful, healthy ingredients...and packs some magnificent flavor!

Danielle's Sweets said...

Mmmm, looks delicious! My family would love this! I'm going to give it a try : )

Danielle

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, we do not eat a lot of beef either but a recipe like this is always good to have in your recipe file, it is packed with healthy ingredients and looks just delicious.
Have a great Tuesday!

Claudia said...

I am loving this (maybe I should get a subscription to Canadian Living). Hearty enough for winter but light enough for those who do not wish to leave the table bloated. Plus - it's got the winter greens - all prepared for maximum flavor. I'm a fool for rice and beans.

Katerina said...

The beef looks absolutely mouthwatering Beth and with those greens and legumes seems to me like a very filling meal!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, but I was way too distracted by those yummy slices of beef!

Joanne said...

All things tex-mex make me absurdly happy! These look awesome!

lisa is cooking said...

What a great mix of colors with the beans, kale, and peppers! I'd love to have a burrito bowl for lunch today.

Vi said...

I don't cook a lot of beef either, but this looks really yummy. I love steak fajitas at the Mexican restaurant, the kale in this looks delicious!

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

I love this! I don't eat a ton of beef either, but these bowls look just amazing. YUM!

Kitchen Riffs said...

We can serve it for next year's Super Bowl. ;-) But I won't be able to wait that long! Really nice mix of ingredients and flavors. Love the inclusion of the kale. Really good stuff - thanks.

Jennifer Kendall said...

what a great bowl! so many delicious things going on!

Food Gal said...

Who needs a tortilla anyway, right? All the good stuff is inside, after all. I'm with you on the bowl.

grace said...

i feel like we had beef 80% of the time when i was growing up, but i don't believe we ever had anything quite like this! very yummy, beth. :)

Anonymous said...

Kale has never been my favorite but this makes it look delicious!

Elaine said...

This looks like a meal my family would really enjoy. A couple of tortillas and we are good to go. I really like that it has kale in the burrito bowl. Your pictures of it are beautiful.

Post a Comment