Family Time

Monday, February 25, 2013
I was lucky that, over the past week, I had more time with my family than usual.  Last Monday was Family Day, a statutory holiday in Ontario that encourages people to spend the day (and resulting long weekend) with their families.

Every year, my family rolls their eyes when I suggest we go for a Family Day walk.  Yes, it's February and it tends to be cold.  They've never really forgiven me since the year we went on a robust hike at a local conservation centre, and when muttered comparisons were made to Stalingrad in 1943.  This year, however, we went on a brief local walk that met everyone's approval, followed by brunch out.

As if that weren't enough, it was also Reading Week at my oldest daughter's university, and she spent part of the week with us.  She managed to take a break from schoolwork long enough to help me make this casserole, one of her favourites.  It's healthy, it's delicious, and if your family is like mine, they'll love it!


Southwestern Quinoa Casserole
(adapted from Rachel Cooks)

1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa

1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 1/2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
1/2 red pepper, chopped

2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
1 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning
2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup passata (strained tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups of cheese (Cheddar or Monterey Jack)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tsp cold butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In very large bowl, mix together all ingredients except the panko and butter.  Spread in a greased casserole dish, or in ramekins for individual servings.  Sprinkle top with panko and dot with butter.  Bake for 45 minutes (in a casserole dish) or 25 minutes (in ramekins), or until panko is browned and casserole is heated through.




31 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

How lovely to have Family Day as a holiday! This recipe looks and sounds delicious. I'm going to bookmark it for our table.

Best,
Bonnie

Natalie Aguirre said...

Lucky you that you got to spend more time with your kids. Anna Li was in Costa Rica and just got home.

This looks like a great recipe I'll try without the chicken. I've been looking for quinoa recipes.

Barbara said...

Mean mom and her freezing walks on Family Day! At least this year it worked out nicely for all...no rolling of the eyes (which is what mine do).
No matter how hard I try, I can't get my palate to get excited about quinoa. I've only made salads with it, so think I should try something baked like this.

Valerie Gamine said...

I love your family's sense of humor. :D

Nothing like a casserole to unite everyone- after macaroni and cheese, it's the ultimate comfort food.

Belinda said...

Super sweet that you go on these walks! Always loving quinoa recipes.

Vi said...

I love the idea of family day! Mmm quinoa will have to try that recipe.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good, and I love that it has quinoa in it. How nice that there's an official Family Day holiday!

Cindy said...

Our church LDS (Mormons) encourages each Monday as Family Night. I have great memories of spending each Monday with our children when they were home.
I have yet to cook quinoa--looks like I need branch out a bit.

Gloria Baker said...

look really delicious!!!Love quinoa!

Julie said...

Delicious!! This is going on my menu for next week. I love that you celebrate a Family Day!

Katerina said...

It is so nice to have a day dedicated to families! I bought quinoa recently and this casserole sounds like a great idea to make use of it!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, there is nothing like family time and being able to cook with the kids - the Casserole recipe sounds so healthy and comforting - how nice that you got to spend time with your oldest daughter in the kitchen!
Have a great Tuesday!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, how I love when the whole family is together! And sharing a meal or a walk is the BEST! Love this casserole...I wonder if my picky hubby will eat quinoa? I may have to test that out :)

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

I love that Ontario has Family Day! The US should think about celebrating a holiday like that, too. And the casserole sounds SO good - so my type of meal!

Cucina49 said...

It's lovely that you've had so much family time lately! This casserole looks perfect for a cold February.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the family day walking tradition..
I have all the ingredients for this warming and satisfying casserole, so I might just make one this weekend.

Food Gal said...

See, this is what I love about Canada -- SO civilized. A specific holiday to spend time with family? That is beyond awesome. I wish every country had that.

Anonymous said...

Yet another great way to prepare quinoa!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmmm quinoa looks so delicious :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Monet said...

Family time is so good for the soul...and this dish looks good for both body and soul. How beautiful! Thank you for sharing...and brightening up a cold Wednesday morning. I hope you are having a great week!

Joanne said...

Awww I'm so glad you've had some good quality time with the family lately! And this is some awesome comfort food to cherish it with.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Family Day sounds like a terrific holiday! I wish we had that in the US. This is a great looking casserole - I love anything southwestern and spicy, and this sure fills the bill! Good stuff - thanks.

Unknown said...

Family Day, how lovely! We don't have that here in the States but I think it should be instituted! Your daughter's quinoa sounds fabulous! We love dishes like this, lean and loaded with good protein!

lisa is cooking said...

I don't how I'd never heard of Family Day. What a great holiday! And, this casserole is full of some of my favorite things. The mix of beans and corn sounds great!

CakeWhiz said...

my sister had reading week and she got to enjoy family day with my family back in canada...i was so jealous...lol. i wanted to fly back home just so i can hang out with them too...heheh


awesome casserole!

-abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

grace said...

family day is a great idea!!
i love this casserole, beth--it's precisely the kind of thing i want to eat after a particularly trying day. :)

Sue said...

This sure looks like comfort food...perfect for Family Day, or any other:)

Kathy said...

Family time is so special…nice that you Canadians have a day to honor it! Wonderful looking quinoa casserole…sounds satisfying and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Time with the family is also wonderful. I am sure they enjoyed this casserole. It sounds delicious. Who doesn't love quinoa?

Unknown said...

I like the idea of a family walk-your casserole looks yummy-I'm sure they all loved it ;)

Jennifer Kendall said...

family day sounds like a truly lovely idea! totally think we should have one here in the US :) this sounds like a really delicious way to celebrate it!

Post a Comment