Smitten

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Every so often, I print a recipe that I've fallen deeply in love with. You'll remember my Black Bean and Smoked Cheese Quesadillas, or my Rice Noodle Salad, or even my Stuffed Peppers. Every one of these is a dish that I secretly hope nobody else is around to eat, because it means more meals of leftovers for me.

I've found another recipe to add to that pantheon, and that's these Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Balsamic Reduction. It was a simple recipe I took from the newspaper, so simple they didn't even include amounts. I was dazzled at how incredibly these few simple flavours worked together. Andrew, who cheerfully samples every new recipe I try, enjoyed it, but perhaps wasn't smitten to the same level as me. Which might actually be a good thing, because it means more meals of leftovers for me.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Balsamic Reduction
(from Sue Riedl of The Globe and Mail)

2 heads of garlic
2 sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges (6 to 8, depending on the size of your sweet potatoes)
olive oil
salt and pepper
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) goat cheese (I used herbed goat cheese, but regular would be nice too)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Roast garlic for 40 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare sweet potatoes. Toss the wedges in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes. (Put them in the oven for the last 20 minutes that the garlic is in.)

Allow garlic and sweet potatoes to cool slightly.

For the sauce, bring balsamic vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, and simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken. Cool slightly.


Drizzle balsamic reduction over warm sweet potatoes and top with goat cheese. Serve with mashed and seasoned roasted garlic.

18 comments:

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, your recipe sounds fabulous - I think I would be smitten with lovely roasted sweet potatoes with some wonderful goat cheese as well - sounds and looks just wonderful, just like the kind of food I so enjoy!
Have a nice Sunday!

Valerie Gamine said...

Had I been born a sweet potato, this is exactly how I'd want to end up! Scrumptious!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love sweet potatoes. Thanks for another fantastic recipe to try.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Wow. This looks wonderful. Sweet potatoes have become a real favorite of mine, and this is a nifty preparation. I'm smitten too! Thanks.

Angie's Recipes said...

These roasted sweet potatoes look fantastic, Beth. Can't find quality sweet potatoes these day...2,50 Euro for a kilo and they all tasted bland.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a delicious combination of flavors. As the only one in the house who eats sweet potatoes, I would get all of the leftovers!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

This looks great, but thanks for introducing me to that Rice Noodle Salad too! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I have made roasted sweet potatoes but adding a sweet balsamic glaze and goat cheese brings this dish over the top. Great little recipe!

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Recently my sister gave me a bottle of "good" balsamic vinegar. I hadn't really understood that -- like most things -- quality does make a difference. And simple is better. These are lessons it seems I must re-learn every few years. You've got me smitten, too, Beth.

grace said...

there are only a few instances where i would willingly consume goat cheese, and this would be one--sweet potatoes hold a lot of power over me. :)

Anonymous said...

These look fantastic.

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

These look wonderful! I could see how you'd fall in love with them -I think I would, too. =)

Katerina said...

I feel the same about some recipes myself! The moment I see them it is love at first site! Beautiful sweet potatoes!

vanillasugarblog said...

Next time I make my sweet potato hash I am using goat cheese on the top!
Brilliant idea! Thank you for that!

Joanne said...

These are my kind of fries! I love the idea of pairing sweet potatoes with a sweet tangy balsamic reduction.

Anonymous said...

I love roasted sweet potato wedges and this recipe takes them to another level.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

That's exactly how I feel about some of the dishes I make...I'm kind of glad when Bill isn't fond of my lentil soup. Then I can have it all to myself. I think I'd feel the same about these sweet potatoes :)

Display name said...

Oh mine, I haven't had sweet potatoes for so long. I would really like this dish, Beth :) ela

Post a Comment