Blueberries

Sunday, June 28, 2015

"When I see the bright clouds, a sky empty of moon and stars,
I wonder what I am, that anyone should note me.

Here there are blueberries, what should I fear?"

- from "Here, There Are Blueberries" by Mary Szybist

I spent the day at a family reunion at my cousin's farm near Iona, Ontario. The drive there and back was through pouring rain, but our time together was a great chance to catch up on family news. (So great, in fact, that I took no pictures at all. Whoops!) Among us, we have four children heading off to university in the fall – one to Princeton, one to McMaster, and two to Trent. It doesn’t seem like sixteen summers ago that my daughter was learning how to walk by navigating between lawn chairs with the same group of relatives.

Today there were six desserts to choose from, and three of them featured blueberries. I can never say no to my Aunt Lois’s Blueberry Delight, and it was, in fact, delightful. When I told her how much I loved it, she generously insisted on sending me home with another piece, which Andrew and I (mostly me) polished off for dinner.

It reminded me that I made a blueberry pie last month, and that I need to post the recipe today. It tasted like the best of summer – juicy, sweet, and intense. Here there are blueberries, indeed!



Blueberry Crumble Pie

One unbaked pie crust (preferably homemade)
1 egg, beaten to blend

2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
5 cups blueberries
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line pie crust with parchment paper or foil, and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until the crust is set, about 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, then brush the crust with the egg glaze. Bake until light brown, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.

Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the blueberries and lemon juice, and toss together until combined. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until berries start to release their juices.

Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix with the melted butter, using your fingertips to blend.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Pour the blueberry filling into the crust and top with the crumble topping. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until filling is bubbling and topping is golden.

23 comments:

Cathleen said...

This pie looks so good!! I can't remember a the last time when I baked anything with blueberries..

Gloria Baker said...

I love blueberries and this look beautiful Beth!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a fun visit. Awesome that you're all watching your kids grow up and go to college. And thanks for the yummy recipe.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I love baking with blueberries, but I have never made a blueberry pie. Ah, you and Tammy with the "child going to college" posts... I just get settled into repression and you bring me back.

grace said...

blueberries are probably my favorite fruit to use in baking--i love how they burst, i enjoy the color they create, and their flavor is awesome!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, I'm not much of a pie baker, but maybe it's time I learn how. Love blueberries, I bet this is delicious!

Marcela said...

Beth, your blueberry pie looks amazing! I totally love blueberries! Thanks so much for sharing!

Julie said...

Time does go so fast doesn't it??? Nothing better than fresh blueberries, just says summer! Hope you have a great week.

nancy at good food matters said...

Here, too, there are blueberries--not quite by the bushels---but big quarts and baskets. I love this time of year! How great to have 3 blueberry desserts at your reunion.So many good recipes. Have you seen Barbara's Blueberry Slab Pie yet this week?

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Beth - blueberry pies are indeed the best, the most summery and delicious kinds of dessert are made with those lovely berries! Love your pie, it looks wonderful!
I know that there are wonderful blueberries growing in Canada - one of my fondest memories of Québec.
All the best to all those grown-up children starting university in the fall! You must be all so proud of them!
Andrea

Unknown said...

This looks beyond amazing! Love anything so full of blueberries. I also love days that I just enjoy without taking pictures. Even when I'm at a concert or something and want to take lots of pics, I really try to put my phone away some of the time and just enjoy. I don't want to live vicariously through my camera!

Tricia Buice said...

You know I adore blueberry pie! This sounds wonderful - have a great 4th of July!

Kayte said...

YUM...I have lots of blueberries and I need some to make my WWDH recipe this week, but I think some of the rest of them will go for this for the holiday weekend, sounds like a winner to me. Never enough recipes for blueberries in my mind. :-)

Monica said...

Glad you posted this! Love that huge mound of blueberries and the topping looks delicious! It's great how it slices so neatly, too. You make me crave pie.

Angie's Recipes said...

I can NEVER say NO to any berry treats! The pie looks spectacular!

Catherine said...

Dear Beth, I agree. The years have gone so quickly!! It does seem like yesterday when they were little. I sound like , "sunrise, sunset"!!
Blueberry pie is one of my favorites. It was one of my dad's favorites also.
xoxo Catherine

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

Delicious! My daughter and I actually went blueberry picking this morning, so we'll be looking for some new blueberry recipes to try, and your crumble pie looks AMAZING. We may be trying this out sooner rather than later! =)

Beth said...

Hope you like it as much as we did, Amy!

Kitchen Riffs said...

I love blueberry season! Although all the summer fruits are so good, aren't they? Anyway, this crumble looks terrific -- good job! Thanks so much.

Crystal Collier said...

Mmm. So yummy... It's really mean of you to post this deliciousness when I can't reach through the screen and take a taste. I hope you know that. *grumble grumble*

Barbara said...

I've never made a blueberry crumb pie...always use double crusts. Love this idea, Beth, and it looks delicious. Happy 4th!

Pam said...

Blueberries are the best and you made good use of them, Beth! I've got some in the refrigerator waiting for pancakes, but will have to rethink as your pie sounds better. Thanks for the recipe! Happy 4th!

Amy said...

I really love blueberry season and this pie with the tasty crumble on top is a perfect way to celebrate them!

Post a Comment