Father's Day

Sunday, June 21, 2015
Me at one month old
Andrew and I celebrated Father's Day today by watching one of the most dramatic ballgames we've been to. The Blue Jays made it entertaining by rallying from a 7 - 0 deficit to take a 9 - 7 lead, although they eventually lost 13 - 9. An afternoon at the ball park is always fun, especially when it's with Andrew, one of the two best fathers I've ever known.


My own dad was a huge baseball fan, playing it for years and watching a televised ball game every Sunday afternoon. The first game I remember watching with him on TV was in 1975, when the parents of major league pitcher Luis Tiant were granted a special visa from the Cuban government to visit the United States to watch their son play. I knew nothing about baseball at the time, but I remember thinking what a big deal it was - Tiant hadn't seen his dad in fourteen years.


I only went to a handful of ball games with my dad, but they were games that mattered. He took me (and my mom and sister) to my first ball game on August 28, 1983. We went to Detroit, to watch the Blue Jays play in Tiger Stadium. Gwen and I bought Blue Jays' pennants, polished off a tub of popcorn by the second inning, and sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" with gusto. Although I had a vague preference to see the Jays win, I didn't think I cared all that much. But then the Jays, who held a 2-1 lead with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, lost when relief pitcher Joey McLaughlin gave up a home run to Chet Lemon. My sister and I were outraged, and insisted on flying the Jays' pennants out the car window until my dad made us pull them down. That began my love affair with baseball, and it gave my dad and me our biggest shared connection. We rooted for different teams (he cheered for the Indians), but whether it was our mutual disgust at the Tigers' 1984 series victory, or the Don Denkinger call in the 1985 World Series, our special bond was baseball, and it lasted for the rest of his life. He died twenty-nine years ago, and I still wish I could call him to talk about baseball.
Proud dad at my graduation

20 comments:

Louise said...

Thanks for sharing Beth! a very touching story of about your Dad.

Julie said...

Great photos and wonderful story about your Dad.

Gloria Baker said...

What beautiful and lovely post Beth and what nice memories of your dad!
Lovely pictures:))

Angie's Recipes said...

I immediately recognize you from that signature smile, a beautiful and precious photo of your dad, and two pretty young gals.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved the pictures and hearing about your memories with your dad. And the first picture when you were a baby is precious.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

A lovely tribute to your father and your memories of him.

Monica said...

What great memories, past and present. Love how you are able to tell your stories so well and you always seem to have just the right photos to complete the picture for us.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Beth, I love these photographs and the wonderful and warm tribute to your beloved dad - hope you had a wonderful Father´s Day celebration yesterday!
Andrea

Unknown said...

It's nice that you and your dad bonded over baseball. I hope you and your family had a great Father's Day!

Jemi Fraser said...

Great stories! My dad was a huge sports fan too - although when he first came to Canada, he picked the Tigers to cheer for - so we had a great rivalry going when I started cheering for the Jays! :)

Marcela said...

Great stories, Beth! It's so nice to read something about your amazing dad! I love your photographs! I hope you and your family had a great Father's Day!

Unknown said...

Hope you had a lovely day, it's always nice to see old photographs.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, love all the stories about your family, your father was a special man.

Daniela Grimburg said...

What a lovely post for Father's Day , paying tribute to your Dad.

Kayte said...

Such fun to see the old photos and hear the memories...you look exactly the same! xo

Cakelaw said...

What a wonderful post Beth - the photos are fabulous.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Wow, that really sounds like a terrific game! I love games like that -- and although I always want to win those, it's a satisfying loss. If there is such a thing. ;-) Fun photos, great post -- thanks.

Valerie Gamine said...

Lovely post, Beth. My father left a huge void in my life but, like you, I have baskets of gorgeous memories. Thank you for sharing some of yours. :-)

Pam said...

Great post and tribute to your father, Beth! It's great that you shared the love of baseball with him! Great photos, thanks!

Vicki Bensinger said...

It's so hard on Father's Day. My dad will be gone 26 years tomorrow, one month before my daughter was born. I've had a light burning in my home for 2 weeks now in his memory. I too remember the baseball games he would take us to, the wonderful vacations we'd go on, and how my sisters and I would put curlers in his balding head and dance on his toes. Dads are very special - at least mine was and it sounds like yours was as well. I feel terrible for those who have missed out on that.

I hope you found some way to enjoy the day. Thanks for sharing your photos and story.

Post a Comment