Enchilada Pie

Sunday, November 27, 2016

This is my favourite new family recipe. It takes just 15 minutes or so before it goes in the oven, and most of that is stirring time. Forty minutes later, you're serving it for dinner. Served with a salad, it makes a complete meal; it's so filling, you're sure to have leftovers for lunch the next day.

It's worth looking for the corn salsa to make it with, but I think it would be a winner even with regular salsa.


Enchilada Pie
(From Goodness:Recipes and Stories, by Peter Neal and Chris Neal)

1 lb. ground turkey
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups corn salsa (if you can’t find corn salsa, regular salsa would be fine)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
3 large (12”) flour tortillas
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used a touch more than a cup, and it was super-cheesy)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the pie when done.

In a skillet over medium heat, stir ground turkey to break up any clumps until meat is no longer pink. Add cumin and combine. Stir in salsa and corn. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes to let the flavours meld. Remove from heat.

Place one tortilla on the parchment paper. Spread with half the turkey mixture. Sprinkle with one-third of the cheese. Top with second tortilla. Cover with remaining turkey mixture and sprinkle with another third of the cheese. Top with remaining tortilla (reserve remaining cheese). Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.


You can garnish with chopped green onions or sour cream, but it's also terrific served exactly as is.

17 comments:

That Girl said...

I made an enchilada casserole to pack in our lunches a couple weeks ago. It's the kind of dish that really works well as "leftovers"

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I have had something like this in my head for ages--I was calling mine enchilada lasagna! I love enchiladas but hate when the tortillas break when you roll them up!

gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com said...

This look amazing and delicious Beth <3

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like an easy recipe that I could convert to vegetarian. Thanks.

Unknown said...

This is such a good idea! Ideal for a midweek meal.

Angie's Recipes said...

It looks ever so comforting and delicious! Thanks for sharing, Beth.

We Are Not Martha said...

Yum- I LOVE the idea of an enchilada pie!! This looks like the perfect dinner!

Sues

Jemi Fraser said...

That sounds so good!! Definitely going to try that out - haven't tried corn salsa but sounds delicious :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, my. This does sound like a winner! Easy, yummy and pure comfort food!!! Can't wait to give it a try.

Monica said...

What a wonderfully simple, hearty dinner! Sounds like a breeze and totally delicious. Plus, I know where to get that corn salsa!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, can't have enough easy and delicious meals in my reportoire. My family will love this.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Love enchilada casseroles! Such good food, and this looks wonderful. Now I gotta source me some corn salsa! Of course if all else fails, I can probably make it easily enough. :-) Good stuff -- thanks.

Unknown said...

This pie is really making my mouth water! Love enchilada casseroles so I can tell I am gonna love this one as well. Lovely share!

Anu
www.mygingergarlickitchen.com

grace said...

this is something i make often, though mine rarely holds together as well as yours! i think i might add too much stuff. :)

handmade by amalia said...

I've never made this, looks so good.
Amalia
xo

Cakelaw said...

This sounds delicious Beth! I love enchaladas so I am sure I'd love this.

Unknown said...

I have been meaning to make something like this forever but never got to it. I really have to, I am so sure we would all love such an enchilada pie.

Post a Comment