Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread

Sunday, December 4, 2016

I know without even looking at the calendar that it's the first weekend of December:

- With a week off between my last work contract and the next one, I set a goal to both start and finish my Christmas shopping last week. I came very close, and am now basking in the knowledge that I don't need to visit another mall until 2017.
- We had an early celebration of Andrew's birthday yesterday, when both the girls were home. I baked his favourite cake and we enjoyed some wonderful family time together.
- Andrew put up the Christmas lights this morning, and now our house looks like it's ready for Santa!

The cake I baked on Saturday was the simple but amazing Gingerbread recipe I've shared on this blog before. But this Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread is terrific too, and a festive choice to celebrate a birthday, the holiday season, or being almost done your Christmas shopping.


Upside-Down Pear Ginger Cake
(from Epicurious.com)

For topping

2 1/2 firm pears (preferably Bosc)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar

For cake

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup molasses (preferably mild)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Peel and core pears and cut each into 8 wedges. Melt butter in 10" or 12" heavy skillet until foam subsides. Reduce heat to low, then sprinkle brown sugar over bottom of skillet and cook, undisturbed,  for 3 minutes (not all sugar will be melted). Arrange pears decoratively over sugar and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If the skillet handle isn't ovenproof, wrap it with a double layer of foil.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together molasses and boiling water in a small bowl. Beat together butter, brown sugar and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Then alternately mix in flour mixture and molasses in 3 batches, stirring after each addition, until smooth.

Pour batter over topping in skillet, spreading evenly and being careful not to disturb pears. Bake in middle oven until a tester comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool cake in skillet for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around edge of skillet, then invert a large plate with a lip over top. Using pot holders to hold the skillet and plate tightly together, invert cake onto plate, replacing any pears that stick. Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream.


18 comments:

We Are Not Martha said...

Pears and gingerbread are two of my favorite fall/winter flavors, so I am all about this!!

Sues

That Girl said...

You are one step ahead of me! I have all my gifts picked out, but not purchased yet.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I was at the mall tonight---will not go back on a weekend again! And our tree went up today, too! A few more knickknacks and we'll be set. I love that you added pears to this gingerbread cake---best of flavors of the season :)

Angie's Recipes said...

This is so Christmasy and delicious!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Not a huge fan of gingerbread but this looks good.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, good for you I have not started my Christmas shopping yet, still playing catch up on the everyday stuff.
Lovely cake, pears and gingerbread sound wonderful together. Happy Birthday to your husband.

Monica said...

Love the floral pears with the gingerbread flavors! Happy birthday to your husband! : )

Katerina said...

It looks so beautiful and elegant Beth! I love gingerbread!

grace said...

i really love upside down cakes, and this is such a unique version! great combo, perfect for the season. :)

Kayte said...

Well, Happy Birthday to Andrew...and what a marvelous looking cake to celebrate...sounds so delicious. Lol on not visiting another mall until 2017 and it certainly sounds like Christmas prep is well on it's way there now! :-)

Kitchen Riffs said...

Loads of nice pears at the market right now, so your timing is perfect. Great looking recipe -- thanks.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I always try to get things done early for Christmas. It goes back to a year when I was doing IT work in the Corporate Finance area and things got crazy at the end of the year. When I started, a friend there told me that if I wanted Christmas, the only way to do it was complete everything Thanksgiving weekend. I enjoyed the holiday so much more that way I've gone for that ever since.

Your cake looks great--and I just bought a case of pears!

Unknown said...

Pear and gingerbread sounds like a great combo. This upside down pear gingerbread is awesome and delicious for this festive season.

Anu
http://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/

Cakelaw said...

Beth, this cake looks amazing. It is exactly the kind of cake that I like - fruity and spicy.

Juliana said...

I like the pear used in this cake, and all the spices in the cake...this cake must tastes delicious...
Hope you are having a great week Beth :)

DMS said...

I am a big fan of gingerbread this time of year- but I don't recall ever having it paired with pears. Sounds so delicious and pretty too. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

I've baked this cake, too and totally love it!I think it is even on my blog with a similar photo!You sound busy, busy! But soon I am sure you will relax!

handmade by amalia said...

I love everything with pears. I have to give this a try.
Amalia
xo

Post a Comment