Banana Muffins

Sunday, April 16, 2017

I've made these muffins many times but didn't post them until now, probably because everyone has their own favourite banana muffin recipe. But I think this one is so good, it's worth checking out.

Since I have bananas in the house most of the time, I've made many a muffin to use the overripe ones. But I was usually disappointed - so often, the finished product relied on add-ins like chocolate chips for flavour. It took me a long time, and many false starts, before I found a recipe that I thought was a keeper. The three bananas in the mix provide a ton of flavour; pecans are a nice (but not necessary) addition.

And although the original recipe called for a streusel topping, these muffins don't require any dressing up. Simple enough for breakfast, delicious enough for dessert, these banana muffins are perfect for any occasion, or no occasion at all.


Banana Muffins
(adapted from Hidden Ponies)

1 egg
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (note: you can substitute half of this amount with whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners (unless you're using a silicone pan, in which case liners aren't necessary).

Whisk egg, bananas and butter in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir until just combined. If you're adding pecans, add them in and stir just to combine.

Spoon mixture into muffin pan (makes 10 - 12 muffins, depending on how big the bananas were). Bake for 17 - 20 minutes or until tops are browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

17 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'm definitely making these muffins! Like you,there is always at least one over-ripe banana that goes into the freezer. Next time I have 3, I will treat the family. Hope you had a marvelous Easter, my friend!!!

We Are Not Martha said...

The perfect thing to do with all those almost-rotten bananas! I always throw them in smoothies, but end up having to put many of them in the trash... These look like a much better solution :)

Sues

Angie's Recipes said...

You can't have too many banana recipes, Beth. These look very delicious and great for any time of the day.

Natalie Aguirre said...

My husband would have loved these. He loved anything banana.

Carolina G. Ticala said...

Interesting post! Happy Easter! 🐇🐣🐇🐣🐇🐣🐇🐣

Jemi Fraser said...

Yum!! I make banana bread a lot but don't always do muffins - time for a batch!

Monica said...

I do have a favorite banana muffin recipe but I could always use another. In fact, I love trying variations of our favorite things. I love my muffins with toasted walnuts. Boy, now I'm eyeing my bananas and looking to put some aside to make muffins. : )

Gloria Baker said...

These look amazing I love all with bananas and muffins are delicious !
Hope you had an amazing Easter !

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Gorgeous looking muffins, I have some ripe bananas on my counter as we speak, will be trying this recipe, thanks Beth!

Pam said...

They look delicious and sounds like a great muffins to bake. Thanks for the recipe!

That Girl said...

I really need to make muffins. It's been too long.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Mmmm, muffins! Can never have too many recipes -- love them. These look wonderful. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Great idea for over-ripe bananas, I always seem to have some. Normally I would just freeze for banana ice cream or smoothies, but now I think I would like to have some muffins soon.:)

Crystal Collier said...

I really need to save this recipe. Everyone is all excited when I come home with bananas, yet magically, half of them go bad about every other week. *shrugs*

grace said...

banana muffins can be SO good! i like walnuts in mine, and i think you're absolutely right about streusel being superfluous, especially on these beauts!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

It's been too long since I've made banana bread or muffins Beth! (I even have banana slices in my freezer!)

DMS said...

I have never made banana muffins, though I love bananas and muffins. I must try these. Yum! :) Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Post a Comment