Miss Congeniality

Sunday, April 23, 2017
It's hard to photograph beige food.

No matter what you do when you photograph it, it just looks ... beige. And that's a real shame when it comes to a recipe that tastes as amazing as this one.

You may remember that a few weeks ago, I discovered how delicious farro is, and how easy it is to prepare. So this recipe for farro risotto with roasted cauliflower and gruyere was next on my list to try. If anything, I like it even better, despite its rather pale and timid appearance.

So think about this meal as the equivalent of the wallflower at a party. It may not be the recipe that makes you do a double-take, but it just might make you happy for the rest of your life.

Cauliflower and Gruyere Farro Risotto
(from Eats Well With Others)

Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 Tbsp olive oil (first amount)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil (second amount)
1 shallot, diced
2 cups farro
5-6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups gruyere, grated

Instructions

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Spread the cauliflower on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and coat in 2 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until browned and crispy, tossing once halfway through. Set aside.

In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the shallot and saute for 3-4 minutes, seasoning with a pinch of salt. Stir in the farro and cook for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups of broth to the pot, and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the water has evaporated. Add the remaining broth 1 cup at a time, only adding more when the previous batch has just evaporated, stirring frequently, until farro is tender. (Test after you've stirred in 5 cups of broth - you may not need to add more.)

Stir in the cauliflower and the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.


21 comments:

gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com said...

yes I know what you say Beth but I love cauliflower !
I have to try this recipe!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I hear you on trying to take a pretty photo of brown or tan foods! But as a farro and cauliflower fan, I know this is a winner!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, this doesn't look so pretty but it sounds yummy. And good to have something new for cauliflower.

That Girl said...

I definitely have a problem with delicious, ugly food!

Angie's Recipes said...

I actually love the rustic look of beige food :-)) And this looks really comforting and delicious, Beth.

Monica said...

I've been back on the farro wagon lately, too, Beth. I'm cooking it and tossing it with roasted grape tomatoes and a little sherry vinegar...so good. Love the texture. This looks wonderful!

grace said...

the only thing better than farro is CHEESY farro! this sucker doesn't need color to be completely appealing to me!

amira said...

Beth, you are 100% right. Brown and beige food take longer to be photographed they are not photogenic :). I've never tried farro before but heard a lot about it. This seems to be a delicious recipe to start with.

Gerlinde de Broekert said...

I have such a difficult time styling and photographing food. Farro is such a wonderful nutty grain and I appreciate getting another recipe from you. I will try it soon.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

This looks over the moon delicious Beth, will be making soon. I have a hard time photographing food, sometimes taking over 50 pics to get it even half right.

Kitchen Riffs said...

That does look like a challenging subject! In cases like this I add garnish, and basically shoot the garnish. :-) Anyway, the recipe looks wonderful -- I'd love this. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Styling and photographing rustic food is really challenging. But you did you a wonderful job, Beth. This one surely looks appetizing and inviting.

Anu
http://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/

DMS said...

Okay- this sounds amazing. I will have to try it. Actually- the picture looks good to me too. :)
~Jess

handmade by amalia said...

No worries, Beth, the deliciousness comes across.
Amalia
xo

Jemi Fraser said...

I really need to buy some farrow - this sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

This sounds SO GOOD! Cauliflower and gruyere in a risotto, perfect.

Crystal Collier said...

Just makes you happy the rest of your life? Is that a guarantee? Ladies and gentlemen, we've discovered to secret of true happiness! ;)

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

I do love farro and I also love cauliflower. Seems like a great combo and I'm all for good food, no matter how it looks!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

This does look good--like the comfort value of mac n cheese but healthier!

Unknown said...

that looks amazing - love, Hungry in New Zealand

Beth said...

Hey, "Hungry in New Zealand" - I'll be feeding you soon! xo

Post a Comment