The Compromise

Sunday, May 29, 2011



Anyone who’s been reading this blog for a while knows that, while I’ll happily bake anything, my true love is a fruit dessert.  Apple crisps, cherry cobblers, lemon bars – they’re what I dream about.

Not everyone I love feels the same way.

Last week, I told my youngest daughter I was going to do some baking.  Expecting a smile, I was surprised to see a long face. “What’s wrong?” I asked. 

“You’re making a fruit dessert, aren’t you?” she said glumly.

Ahem.  Mothers are supposed to read their kids’ minds, but sometimes it happens the other way around. Or maybe she just knows me that well. 

So I decided to make the least fruit-filled dessert I could think of – Ina Garten’s wonderful chocolate cupcakes.

I made half the cupcakes with the peanut butter icing below (which was delicious), but in the end I couldn’t help myself.  I iced the other half with this orange cream cheese frosting.  Because chocolate is great, but adding fruit, even in the form of icing, makes it even better.  

Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing

Ingredients

12 Tbsp (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 Tbsp brewed coffee (I omitted this)
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp kosher salt
Kathleen’s peanut butter icing, recipe follows) OR Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Chopped salted peanuts, to decorate

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pans with 15 – 16 paper liners.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.  Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream and coffee.  In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  Add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture.  Mix only until blended. 

Divide the batter among the cupcake pans.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and let cool completely before frosting.

Frost cupcakes with peanut butter icing and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.

Kathleen’s Peanut Butter Icing

1 cup confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.  Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.


43 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny - I made the same peanut butter frosting last week! I haven't posted it yet, but I will. It's awesome. Cupcakes are crowd-pleasers for sure.

Ruth said...

HAHAHA - that's pretty funny. I'm afraid I'm with your daughter on this one Beth. :)

Anonymous said...

Cupcakes are one of my favourite all-time desserts (and snacks). And both those frostings are perfect. Chocolate just goes with peanut butter AND orange.

Joanne said...

Now that is one happy compromise. I'll have one of each please :)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I side with your daughter... and I LOVE peanut butter. The cupcakes really make me smile especially with a really cold glass of milk. YUM!

Carol said...

LOL! I'm glad you didn't disappoint :) Those cupcakes look awesome, bet you had a couple of happy girls!

Lydia Kang said...

How funny that this post comes up, because my daughter wants me to bake something today!

Ali said...

yummy, chocolate and peanut butter are such a great combo. Very funny about your daughter. Oh the hardships of children, having to eat too many fruit desserts! haha ;)

Belinda said...

This is a compromise I can't DEFINITELY live with.

Mary said...

That's too funny, Beth! I love fruit desserts too, and I've been making lots of rhubarb lately. Not that I'd turn down one of those lovely cupcakes, mind you!

Reeni said...

What a scrumptious compromise! I bet your daughter was happy! I love fruit desserts too - a lot more now than when I was younger. Thanks for making my frosting again - I was just looking at the recipe today and wondering what I could use it on!

Claudia said...

Having just polished off a rhubarb-raspberry crostada (and it will be fruit desserts for most of the summer), the kids will wax poetical about some decadent brownies from Ina - and I will give in. You must have had some happy smiles with those glorious cupcakes. You can't go wrong with Ina!

Jo Schaffer said...

Mmmmm... (=

Anonymous said...

I spent part of the morning on the treadmill watching Ina action some Red Velvet cupcakes. I'm more than happy to follow her cues as far as baking of that sort is combined :)

What a lovely treat for your daughter!

Anonymous said...

Your daughter's comment made me chuckle. Excellent choice for a compromise; Ina does know her way around a chocolate cupcake. Good call on the orange cream cheese frosting, too. Oranges and chocolate are made for each other.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter totally reminds me of how my mom and I are! Though it isn't with making.. she always wants me to play with her hair or do her nails and I never want to! LOL.

Your cupcakes look gorgeous! I would eat one of each icing ;)

Valerie Gamine said...

Chocolate and orange are a delicious combination! What a brilliant way to slip some 'fruit' into the equation. :D

cocoa and coconut said...

I bet your daughter was thrilled with her version! And it's great that you got your orange icing in there as well for yourself! Great recipe

Barbara said...

Bet everyone was delighted with these, Beth! You just can't beat Ina and the pb frosting looks lovely.

Kristen said...

I am with you. I would eat fruit over chocolate any day. However, your cupcakes with the pb frosting look mighty tasty.

Jeanne said...

Great compromise! Although I think I would favor the peanut butter frosting - chocolate and pb is an irresistible combination. Your cupcakes look fabulous!

Victoria said...

What a great mom you are!! You made the cupcakes both you and your daughter wanted... you way and hers :) I agree that fruit (orange especially) is a perfect counterpart to chocolate. These look so tasty!

Velva said...

I smiled reading this post. I am too, a lover of fruit desserts- cobblers, pies, tarts ahve come head to head with my son who loves chocolate. Awesome Ina cupcake recipe.

Velva

P.S. I made Ina's peanut butter and jelly bars...thought I died and went to heaven.

Justine L said...

Unfortunately, I've been craving peanut butter and chocolate constantly of late ... so I'm with your daughter, too. But who says you can't have TWO desserts? :)

Joanne said...

Haha so much of life is about compromise...but these cupcakes don't LOOK like a compromise. They just look delicious!

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh YUM! I like fruity desserts and chocolate desserts, so this works perfectly. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Gloria Baker said...

Im really smiling because I love fruits desserts too! The other day I saw my blogs and have alot of fruits desserts recipes, specially berries.
These cakes look georgeous and yummy! gloria

art is in the kitchen said...

Wow! Beth, I particularly like chocolate muffins with icing like these. I want this delicious compromise anytime. Cheers!!!

spike. said...

My brother is always reminding me he prefers chocolate to fruit desserts! I love Ina's chocolate cupcake recipe- looks great

Unknown said...

It sure is fortunate that I like just about ANY kind of dessert. Fortunate for my kids, I mean, NOT for my waistline. Those cupcakes look so delicious! The orange and chocolate combination sounds perfect.

MTeacress said...

Those who don't enjoy fruit desserts (I have a daughter who doesn't) are missing out on some of the best desserts in town! All the more for us! :)

Susan Fields said...

Hmmm...peanut butter or orange cream cheese icing? Decisions, decisions. :)

Anonymous said...

That's a yummy compromise.

I used to dislike fruit in desserts, but now I enjoy it.

Emma said...

I love fruity desserts but only as I've gotten older. When I was young I was like your daughter, bless her! ;)

Jill Colonna said...

That is just too funny about the "fruit face" and very clever of you to put the orange in that gorgeous icing!

Meagan Spooner said...

I'm 25 and I STILL make a long face when my mother says she's baking a fruit dessert.

Give me the peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes any day! These look delicious, and I do love Ina Garten. <3

Anonymous said...

Great result of the compromise :) The cupcakes sound terrific!

shaz said...

oooh, great compromise. I adore PB and always on the lookout for new PB icing recipes. I like the sound of this one.

And thanks again Beth for letting me know about the comment form.

Beth said...

I think most of you would go for the peanut butter - and you can't go wrong with that recipe. Still, my heart belongs to the orange and chocolate combo!

laxsupermom said...

I love fruit desserts, too, but yum do those chocolate cupcakes look good! Thanks for sharing.

Ruth said...

What a great story! I'd have a peanut butter one any day!

Anonymous said...

You and I are sooo on the same page! I absolutely prefer fruit desserts and always think that chocolate is improved with fruit. I will definitely be opting for the orange frosting :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy said...

Yummo! I would totally have one of each. Bravo!

Post a Comment