Thursday's Child: Breakfast on the Farm, Nicaragua

Wednesday, May 1, 2013
One of the disadvantages of travelling with me is that I sometimes have a strange idea of what's fun.  Case in point:  getting up early in the morning while on holidays to make our own breakfast!

I wasn't sure if I'd get everyone up by the 7 am call time, but we all made it out of our rooms with a respectable degree of enthusiasm.  There were about a dozen intrepid souls that left the tranquility of the lodge to prepare and enjoy breakfast on the farm.  We climbed into the back of a dusty pickup truck onto a series of benches, and took a very bumpy ride to the small farm owned by our lodge.  It was time to get to work.

We started by milking the cow.  We took turns, producing an amazingly small quantity of milk. (Yes, even this farm girl, who didn't grow up on a dairy farm, had to work at at.)  


Next we moved to collecting eggs.  That was a bit daunting, as the hens were reluctant to let these foreigners forage for their own breakfast.  But forage we did, and we came out with our eyes intact, as well as (mostly) our toes.




After taking our turns in the kitchen at making and frying tortillas, we sat at picnic tables in the next room and were served a gorgeous breakfast of eggs, tortillas, and rice and beans.  This was the hardest I worked for any meal on the trip, but it was hands-down my favourite!






24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milking the cow...I bet that was an experience!

Anonymous said...

I would do that for sure. Looks fun!

Valerie Gamine said...

I'd definitely get up early for an actual farm fresh breakfast! (As long as I could go back to bed after the feast.) ;)

Love the photos! Your cow apparently had swished one too many people with it's tail. :p

Natalie Aguirre said...

This reminds me of our cooking class in China in a village. No we didn't milk cows or collect eggs. But we cooked in an open structure with a roof and no windows or door and ate outside. In the winter. Sounds like you had fun.

Claudia said...

So wonderful on every level. Yes, I'd get up to do that. When else would you have that experience?

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

That sounds like fun to me!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

That sounds like fun to me!

Unknown said...

This looks like a great experience-always time to catch up on sleep later!
Lots of nice smiles-looks like everybody had a great time and the pictures are priceless ;-)

Unknown said...

Your daughters are gorgeous, and you're all so brave! If I had to forage and work for my meals the way you did, I'd be a darn sight slimmer! The whole adventure seems like great fodder for a novel with a country setting.
Fun post! :-)

Joanne said...

Sounds fun to me! I mean...when else do you ever get to make breakfast on a farm?

Julia said...

After looking at these photos, I now wish I lived on the farm! So close to nature, even dirt has its own beauty! Lovely, lovely photos! Looking forward to more photos!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

That looks like so much fun my friend :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, what an amazing adventure and what wonderful pictures! This must have been quite an exceptional breakfast feast!

grace said...

fun on the farm! i was raised doing stuff like this, so i guess i'm sometimes take for granted how exciting it can be! great post, beth. :)

Cindy said...

An experience that will never be forgotten!

Anonymous said...

The rooster and the toe pic is my favorite, I think! :) Nothing like farm-fresh eggs--I wholeheartedly agree!

Jess said...

This looks amazing~ yet another post of yours that makes me sigh with contentment and a twinge of good-hearted jealousy. I would love to expose my girls to these kind of trips!

Vi said...

That sounds like an adventure, I have never milked a cow and I have to admit that I'm a little scared of my parent's chickens! But I bet the satisfaction of doing all that made the meal even more glorious :)

lisa is cooking said...

This sounds like a lot of fun! I've never milked a cow, but I'd love to give it a try some day.

Katerina said...

What a fun experience! I am sure your girls enjoyed the different way farmers live compared to city people!

Monet said...

What an amazing experience! This reminds me of the breakfasts I made while staying in Uganda. I loved being able to milk a cow and pick eggs. Thank you for sharing!

Kitchen Riffs said...

I've never milked a cow! Sounds like fun. Terrific experience, and super post - thanks.

Gloria Baker said...

I love this post! and all sounds fun
many years I milked a cow:-) :-)

nancy at good food matters said...

this is my idea of fun, too

Post a Comment