Learning to Like Brussels Sprouts

Sunday, November 2, 2014

It’s days like today that I’m grateful for my cache of unposted recipes. I spent most of the week assisting at the annual Humber Writers’ Workshop. It was a great experience – as a writer, there’s nothing more powerful than being surrounded by other writers, sharing experiences and advice. The instructor I worked with, Valerie Martin, was both insightful and generous, and it was a joy to spend a week assisting her in the classroom.

It did, however, mean I had no time for either blogging or cooking this week.

In a way, that was a good thing, because I’m overdue on posting this salad recipe. I received a copy of Donna Hay’s Fresh and Light cookbook from Simone about a month ago, and I promised myself I’d post this recipe the first chance I got.

I’m a big fan of roasted vegetables, but until recently I’ve avoided brussels sprouts, after an ancient and indelible memory of eating boiled sprouts. That all changed when I tried roasted sprouts in my new favourite restaurant earlier this fall, and realized how delicious they could be. So when I got Fresh and Light a couple of weeks later and saw this recipe, it was inevitable that I’d try the technique myself. The outcome was terrific – a mix of strong and mild flavours that capture the essence of fall, served on my beloved arugula.

If you, too, have an ancient and indelible memory of eating sprouts, give them one more try with this delicious fall salad.


Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad
(from Fresh and Light by Donna Hay)

500 g (18 ounces) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 firm brown pears, cut into thick wedges
1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
8 sprigs sage
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
sea salt and cracked black pepper
150 g (5 ounces) arugula
150 g (5 ounces) firm goat’s cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the sprouts (cut side up), pear, onion and sage on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Mix the oil, vinegar and sugar, and spoon half the dressing over the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 30 – 35 minutes or until the sprouts are golden. Divide the sprouts, pear, onion, sage and arugula between serving plates. Sprinkle with the goat’s cheese and spoon over the remaining dressing to serve.



22 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

What a unique combination of flavors! And I love brussel sprouts so I'm guessing I'm going to love this one! :)
Sounds like the workshop was a terrific experience - I'd love to have something like that around here!

Gloria Baker said...

I love brussels sprouts Beth!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, roasting Brussels sprouts is a wonderful techinque and it makes these tiny cabbages sweet and utterly delicious!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome you were at a writing conference this week. What fun!

Barbara said...

I don't think I ever served sprouts to my kids until they were grown. Good thinking, as the recipes I've made for holidays are a big hit. What is it about sprouts that turns kids off? I love 'em. This sounds like a super salad, but then everything Donna Hay does is delish.

Monica said...

I once hated brussels sprouts and never expected to like it as much as I do now as an adult! Roasted is best and your salad here looks amazing!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love all the veggies, including brussels sprouts, and roasting definitely brings out the best flavours in veggies. This looks great!

Anonymous said...

I already like brussels sprouts. It's a great time of year to get them, too. Glad to hear you enjoyed the writing conference.

We Are Not Martha said...

Brussels sprouts are definitely an acquired taste and this looks like a fabulous way to acquire a taste for them!

Sues

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

Brussels sprouts are just wonderful when they're roasted! And this salad looks like a beautiful way to feature them. Yum!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, I love roasted veggies. Great combination with the sweet of the pears and savory of the pears. Very nice. Pinned!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your salad looks divine, Beth! And I've even taken to eating shaved raw Brussels sprouts after eating a delicious salad when we were on the town one night :)

Lisa Ho said...

I love brussels sprout :D and I love your salad :D

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I have always loved Brussels sprouts, even the boiled ones. This is an unusual combination of flavors with the pears and can wait to try the recipe.

lisa is cooking said...

What a beautiful fall salad! I'm a fan of brussels sprouts, so no conversion required here. I'd love to try them with pears.

grace said...

count me among those who don't care for brussels sprouts. i haven't tried them again for awhile though--maybe it's time. :)

Amy said...

I didn't enjoy them as a kid, but love them as an adult! They look great in the salad!

Kitchen Riffs said...

Roast Brussels sprouts are wonderful! My favorite way to eat them. I used to hate them when I was a kid -- but my mom boiled them to death. Nothing worse than that. Anyway. lovely dish -- thanks.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I still don't like them very much but I would love to try them if you recommend them :D
Delicious photos!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Marcela said...

wow! I love the way you mixed pear and onions flavors! This salad is now on my 'top-ten recipes worth try' list!

Claudia said...

I do love this recipe. If you can learn to love Brussels Sprouts - maybe I can learn to love squash!

Beth said...

Ha! It's worth a try, Claudia. You know I'm still on the fence about kale....

Post a Comment