All is quiet on New Year's Day

Sunday, January 3, 2016

"All is quiet on New Year's Day
A world in white gets underway
I want to be with you."

- from "New Year's Day," by U2

A New Year's recipe should likely always be a salad, but what a salad this was! Bobby Flay's Bread Salad was the first recipe I flipped to in the September issue of Bon Appetit, and I came to a halt when I found it. I had to make it, but had no idea what quince paste was, or where I'd find it.

But when I recently asked about it in my local cheese shop, the owner told me they'd just bought a shipment. "I rarely find it," he said. "This is the first time I've carried it in a year, and I'll be sold out in a week."

I wasn't going to waste that good luck. And the salad was every bit as wonderful as I'd hoped - a perfect salad for a quiet New Year's holiday or a busy weeknight after we're all back to work.

Happy New Year!

"And now we will count to twelve
and we will all keep still.

For once on the face of the earth
let's not speak in any language,
let's stop for one second,
and not move our arms so much."

- from "Keeping Quiet," by Pablo Neruda


Manchego Bread Salad
(from Bon Appetit)

1/2 loaf ciabatta bread, cut into 1" pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil (first amount)
kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp drained prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp olive oil (second amount)
2 ounces membrillo (quince paste), cut into 1/4" pieces
4 ounces Garrotxa or Manchego cheese, finely grated (I used Manchego, and loved it)
Baby arugula, for serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss bread pieces with 2 Tbsp olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet to coat; season with salt and pepper. Spread out in a single layer and bake, tossing halfway through, until bread is golden and crisp on the outside but still chewy inside, 8 - 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk horseradish, vinegar, mustard and honey in a small bowl to combine. Whisking constantly, drizzle in vegetable oil, then remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil.

Toss toasted bread, membrillo, and cheese in a large bowl to combine. Add arugula, drizzle horseradish vinaigrette over, and toss to coat. Taste salad and season with salt and pepper as needed.


23 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

We had lots of salads last days :-)) Your bread salad looks delicious and very satisfying, Beth.
Have a great week ahead!
Angie

Jemi Fraser said...

Quince past is new to me as well!
Sounds like a yummy combination of ingredients :)
Wishing you all the best for 2016 for you and your family!

Cakelaw said...

Happy New Year Beth! Quince paste is delicious spread on crackers with cheese, too.

amy (fearless homemaker) said...

Oh, how lucky that you stumbled across the quince paste! That was a strong sign you had to make this salad, which sounds like it turned out absolutely delicious. Happy New Year!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Beth, I think I saw this paste at Trader Joe's but they do have many items that are seasonal or that they do not bring back so not sure if they have it anymore. Beautiful way to bring in the New Year. Wishing you the best year ever!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Well I will have to try and search out the elusive quince paste and try this recipe. Wishing you the best in this new year.

Julie said...

Happy New Year! Your salad looks delicious. I love learning about new ingredients!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Happy New Year, Beth! I love salads. Thanks for a new one to try.

We Are Not Martha said...

Bread salad is the best kind of salad!

Sues

Marcelle said...

I've never tried Manchego cheese or quince paste, but this looks wonderful. I look forward to trying this bread salad and some new ingredients :)

Monica said...

That is one gorgeous salad, Beth! Happy New Year to you and your family!

Amy said...

This is such an interesting and tasty looking salad. Happy New year!

Pam said...

Sounds unique and a great way to start the new year! Happy New Year!

grace said...

definitely don't know what a quince tastes like or where to even begin looking for quince paste, but the rest of these ingredients sound like a masterful combination! happy new year indeed!

Tricia Buice said...

I think I would have stopped on that recipe too - it sounds wonderful. Happy New Year!

Kitchen Riffs said...

Must be something about cheese shops -- that's where I often see quince paste, too. Anyway, what a wonderful salad! we need to eat loads of them at the moment -- way too much good food lately. :-) Happy New Year!

DMS said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Glad to hear it was as good as it looks. I have never heard of quince paste either! Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

nancy at good food matters said...

the combination of manchego with quince paste is so delicious, this must be a wonderful salad.
We enjoyed ---actually reveled in---the quiet of new years day after a very busy Christmas season.
Wishing you all the best in 2016, Beth!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I found quince paste at a cheese shop, too---and bought some to serve with cheese. I'm loving the sound of this salad---going to snap up some quince paste next time I see it. Happy New Year, Beth!

Tammy said...

Dear Beth, I never had quince paste but will keep a lookout for it.
I do love a good salad and with all the wonderful food from the holidays a good salad is on the menu for a while. lol
I wish you the most blessed New Year filled with good memories to hold dear.
xoxo Catherine

Unknown said...

I love a good salad and one with homemade croutons sounds like a true hit!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I think you've turned salad into comfort food here Beth!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Beth, I guess quince paste is one of those ingredients that I have never used before - this salad looks delicious and the recipe sounds intriguing with all those wonderful ingredients!

Post a Comment