(Almost) The Most Expensive Cookies Ever

Sunday, August 22, 2010




Looking over the list of ingredients, you’re probably wondering, “How could these be (almost) the most expensive cookies ever?”  The ingredients seem pretty standard.

The day I made them, I was in a bit of a hurry.  Okay, an enormously frantic hurry.  I had everything I needed except the chocolate chips, and I couldn’t even squeeze in a trip to the grocery store.  However, if I made a quick stop at Kingsway Pops variety store between my third and fourth errands, I would have just enough time to pick up chocolate chips before I had to be home.

Having finished my third errand, I detoured to Kingsway Pops and parked beside the front door.  Right across the street from a Parking Authority car.

Now I’m a law-abiding person.  And I’m also bright enough to know that if there’s a Parking Authority car on the street, the parking officer is not far away.  But I also have a strong sense of justice and I hate rules that don’t make sense.  Rules like “you have to pay for half an hour of parking even if you’re only running into Kingsway Pops for a bag of chocolate chips.”

What to do?  I hesitated outside for a minute.  Feeling like taking a risk, I sprinted in and made my purchase.  Returning to my car, there was no officer, no ticket. 

If the chocolate chips had cost $32.49 rather than $2.49, I’m not sure I’d be blogging about them.

I found this recipe on one of my favourite blogs, Cake or Death.  Liz has the most wonderful recipes and her photos are always gorgeous.  And her stories often make me laugh!

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup icing sugar

Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler placed over barely simmering water.  Heat, stirring often, until the butter and chocolate melt.  Remove from over the water and set aside to cool slightly.  In a bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla.  Using a wire whisk, beat until light in colour and thick, about 3 minutes.  Stir in the melted chocolate mixture with a wooden spoon until blended.  Add the dry ingredients and beat until incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm enough to into balls, 1 – 2 hours.  Position a rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 325 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Sift the icing sugar into a small bowl.

To form each cookie, roll a rounded tablespoon of dough between your palms into a 1 ½ inch ball and roll the ball in the icing sugar.  Place the cookies 3 inches apart on the baking sheets.  Bake until the tops are puffed and crinkled, about 13 – 14 minutes.  Let them cook on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

5 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

Such a rebel, I love it! :D
I've always wanted to try these, they look delicious.

Leslie said...

These look so good! I must have missed them when Liz posted them. Chocolate anything is a big hit around here. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Liz said...

Whooo, risk taker! I have the WORST parking luck and would doubtless have gotten, like, three tickets if I had tried that. I'm glad this story has a happy ending, and your cookies look awesome! Thanks for the link love. :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Those cookies are gorgeous. They are just what I want, now.

Katrina said...

Definitely wouldn't have been worth the $30.00! BUT they are great cookies! Love Liz and her blog, too!

Post a Comment