Thursday's Child: Petrin Hill, Prague

Thursday, March 29, 2012


The last urban park I’m writing about this month is Petrin Hill in Prague. 

We visited Prague in 2006, when the girls were eleven and eight years old.  Although I’m the main trip planner, I try to involve everyone in choosing what we’ll do while we’re on holidays.  Letting the girls choose and plan at least one activity helps them buy into our trips, and I think it’s one of the reasons they’ve become such engaged travellers. 

Not surprisingly, on this trip my youngest daughter chose to visit Petrin Hill in Prague.  It has everything that a travelling child could ask for – a break from churches and museums, a chance to stretch her legs, a miniature Eiffel tower, and a maze of mirrors.

For my husband and me, it also offered some of the most beautiful views of one of the loveliest cities I’ve ever visited.  Looking down over the red roofs of the buildings and the many bridges spanning the Vltava River, we could have spent an afternoon taking one stunning photo after another.

We considered taking the funicular up the hill, but with those aforementioned legs to stretch, we spent an afternoon walking there and back.  On the way up, we passed orchards, fields and forests, a surprisingly rural aspect of this large city. 

And yes, at the top we climbed the Petrin Lookout Tower for the ultimate city view.  Built in 1891 for the Prague Expo, it’s much smaller than the Eiffel Tower, but actually reaches a higher elevation since it’s built on a hill. 

We walked through the mirror maze before heading back into the city proper, laughing at our oversized and distorted images in a series of mirrors.  Petrin Hill was a terrific way for a family to spend an afternoon!

25 comments:

Ruth said...

Looks like a beautiful city - it is on my list of places to go!

Bonnie said...

Beautiful! I love pictures of rooftops. How wonderful that you have exposed your daughters to such wonderful experiences. Bonnie

Carol said...

The views are stunning! Looks like a wonderful and terrific place to visit.

Valerie Gamine said...

I love all those red roofs! (Rooves sounds better for some reason.) :D The Petrin Lookout Tower does look like a mini version of the Eiffel Tower. What a gorgeous place to visit! And another that I'd never heard of until now.

Mary said...

What an incredible tower! Beautiful place to visit as well.

Jemi Fraser said...

What a beautiful place! Your daughter chose very well :)

Unknown said...

I would love to visit, the views are stunning!

Gloria Baker said...

Wow amazing pictures!!

Velva said...

Prague is on my bucket list of European cities that we want to visit. Children who learn to travel early often become great travelers when they are older. More importantly they gain a passion for seeing the world.

Velva

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Your youngest daughter picked a beautiful place to visit. Your pictures are so exciting to see!

Neesie said...

That view is amazing Beth and well worth the leg stretch...says she sitting comfy in her chair! ;)
I think its fantastic to show our children all these beautiful interesting places.

Anonymous said...

The tower is awesome! I always loved picking out things to do on family trips.

Cindy said...

I do love your photos. Due to poor health, multiple back surgeries, I will only visit these amazing places virtually. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I just love the sea of red rooftops in some places in Europe. So different from the browns that I am accustomed to. The maze of mirrors sounds like a great way to entertain the kids for an afternoon.

Anna said...

This looks like a lovely place, and even adults need a break from churches and museums sometimes :) I love your approach to family travel.

Yummy said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. Eastern Europe is one area of the world I've never really traveled to.

Anonymous said...

I love looking down at big cities. It makes me wonder what's going on everywhere and I feel the energy of the city even from a distance. That's a great view.

Belinda said...

Those are stunning views! My goodness, sounds like a return trip needed!

From the Kitchen said...

What a joy to visit with you this morning. The photos and prose have taken me away for a bit.

Best,
Bonnie

Elaine said...

I have enjoyed this series of park visits so much, Beth. The view from the tower is breathtaking.

Cucina49 said...

I'm really loving your travel posts--I need to go to the Czech Republic at some point!

Ashlea Taylor said...

Wow, what a beatiful place! I would love to visit Prague!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! Wow all those roofs nearly the same colour :)

Rita said...

What a beautiful spot Beth! Love your travel tours; great shots.
Rita

Jay Smith said...

That's awesome! Loved the loft and the architecture. Now even more excited to travel to Prague as I have planned Prague city breaks this year. Thanks for sharing here.

Post a Comment