Thursday's Child: The Pitons, Saint Lucia

Thursday, June 21, 2012
Photo credit: My St. Lucia
I haven’t written at all about our recent holidays to Saint Lucia.  It’s a gorgeous island from top to bottom, but the island is identified most strongly by its Pitons, the two mountains that stand side-by-side along the west coast.  Together they form the biggest part of Saint Lucia’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site.

We had planned a family hike up one of the Pitons when we visited in March.  A certain level of commitment is required to do this, not the least of which is being ready to leave the resort at 6:30 am.  (Due to the heat, climbing has to be done early in the day.)  I’m usually more than eager to set off on adventures, no matter how early.  However, I slept poorly and wasn’t feeling well, and was disappointed to have to cancel.  (I did enjoy beautiful views of the Pitons from my yoga class on the beach.)

A view of Petit Piton, taken from Gros Piton
Gros Piton (literally translated as Large Peak) is the only one that the government of Saint Lucia permits tourists to climb.  Although it’s taller than Petit Piton (at over 2600 feet), it’s less steep, and therefore accessible to the casual hiker.  The rest of my family tackled the mountain with an able guide who has climbed it hundreds of times. 

On the way up and at the summit, the hikers were rewarded with stunning views of the Caribbean Sea and the island. The climb was arduous (they were gone until 1:00) and the day was hot.  I applauded their resolve when they returned, and I tried not to mention the beautiful views from my yoga class on the beach.





28 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

I think I would have preferred the relaxing version of the view that you had. :D

What a gorgeous island! (I don't think I would want to ever leave!)

Debra Eliotseats said...

Totally beautiful, serene, and peaceful looking. I have vacation envy!

Angie's Recipes said...

A peaceful and relaxing place!

Ellen B Cookery said...

St Lucia is beautiful!
Pllease check out my latest post about the blogger award. I have nominated you!

Beth said...

I didn't want to leave either, Valerie!

Belinda said...

Sounds amazing...especially that yoga on that beautiful beach!

Carol said...

A beautiful place. I can see why you wouldn't want to leave :)
We have friends that have a vacation home there and adore it.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful scenic place, how did you ever get on the plane and leave!
I'm dreaming about that yoga class on the beach!

Bonnie said...

It truly is a lovely retreat. Bonnie

Cucina49 said...

That pop of red from the flower in the first photo is stunning! I've never been there, but how gorgeous.

Jemi Fraser said...

What beautiful views! I think I'd have joined you at the yoga class :)

lisa is cooking said...

Just gorgeous! That view would be a great inspiration for doing yoga.

Barbara said...

We've been going to st Lucia for many years....most recently, last Christmas. We love it, climb the Pitons, enjoy the diving and have made friends on the island. A real pleasure to read about it through our yes.

Beth said...

Barbara, I remember reading about one of your trips there on your blog. You had such beautiful photos, and I could tell you had a great time. I'm glad this brought back good memories for you!

Neesie said...

When I lived in Brunei we had friends that left to go and live in St. Lucia and it's always been on my list to go there.
Now thanks to you I've had a very impromptu visit.
Thanks so much for sharing. Stunning photographs!
Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a strikingly beautiful place! Perhaps I'll have to think about getting out of my vacation rut.

Stina said...

Heck, I'd do yoga if that's the view I got to enjoy doing it to.

Is there a continent or island you haven't been to, Beth? :D Where do you find the time to travel to all these places?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to go! How beautiful. (Sorry you weren't able to make the trek.)

Miriam said...

You lucky lady to have gone!! And what an amazing view while doing yoga! So beautiful :)

Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These mountains would certainly inspire an artist my friend :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Joanne said...

What beautiful photos! It seems like such a lovely place!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a gorgeous locale, Beth. I want to do yoga on a beach...how fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Great photos!

Mary said...

What a stunning location! I love reading about your travels.

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I dream of seeing the pitons in St. Lucia! More photos please, please, please...

Jess said...

I could go for some yoga on the beach in St. Lucia :) That's where my sister honeymooned.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely views.

Elaine said...

Just gorgeous photos. What a wonderful place to visit. I could also go for some yoga at the beach. :)

Post a Comment