Thursday's Child: Nisanyan House

Thursday, October 28, 2010
Nisanyan house
Photo credit: Rainer Stratmann
In October, I’ve been writing about hotels we’ve stayed in that are remote.  The final one is the Nisanyan Evleri, located just outside Ephesus, Turkey.  Although it was less remote than some of the others, we still required alternate means to deliver our luggage.

Nisanyan house is perched on the hillside above Sirince, just a few miles outside of Ephesus, and it’s a steep and winding drive to get there. The hotel itself was accessible by car, but the outlying house that we stayed in wasn’t. The path to the houses is narrow and bumpy, and is followed by a steep staircase.  Carrying the luggage all that distance would have been unwieldy. 

Upon check-in, we had noticed a motorcycle complete with sidecar sitting on the path.  Instead of carrying passengers, it carried our luggage to our house!

The dining room.  Photo credit: Rainer Stratmann
Although we had a busy day in Ephesus and the surrounding area, we still had enough energy to wander down the winding paths into the village.  It was a labyrinth of lanes twisting down the slope, and of course we got lost on the way back.  But asking a young cyclist for directions in a combination of rudimentary Turkish and pantomime only added to the adventure.

Mealtime at the Nisanyan Evleri was heavenly.  Because the hotel is a little out of the way, it’s much easier to eat there than to find a restaurant, and the dining experience was so wonderful that it was an easy choice.  The lamb shank, cooked to tender perfection and served with vegetables, was one of our best meals in Turkey. 

Walking back to our house after the meal, it was so dark that we could see every star in the wide-open sky.  But the cobbled path was lit by torches so we could safely make our way back.  At night, the village was peaceful, and the lights twinkled through the darkness.

Sirince at night.  Photo credit: Rainer Stratmann

24 comments:

Lynne Daley said...

A lovely post on a beautiful area.How did you find such an out of the way hotel with delicious food and a gorgeous view? I'm envious of your travels.

Katerina said...

I want to do this trip myself. My mother's mother, my grandmother was from the Greeks that lived in Cappadocia and came to Greece after Turkey has beaten us during World War 1. I've been told that these places were absolutely fantastic. I wish i will be able to do this trip sometime.

Valerie Gamine said...

Beth, all your travel posts make me want to drop whatever it is that I'm doing and just go. I love your pictures and descriptions. The exotic yet medieval atmosphere of these photos from Turkey remind me, once again, of Loreena McKennitt's music.

Faith said...

We're planning a trip to Europe in 2012 ( before the world ends)and we might make our way to Turkey. You're pictures are lovely. It makes me want to be there. The food sounds amazing too.

Victoria said...

Looks like a gorgeous hotel and an amazing view!

Beth said...

Katerina, it was so interesting to read your comment. When we were in Cappadocia, we saw a village that had been evacuated by the Greek community living there. I believe they were forced to move back to Greece, and likewise with the Greeks living in Turkey. I remember thinking how difficult it must have been for those established communities to pick up their roots and move to another country.
Valerie, I just found "The Gates of Istanbul" and am listening to it as I write this. What a gorgeous piece of music.

Jeanne said...

This looks like an incredible place! My friend is returning from Turkey tomorrow, after spending 4 months there. I have heard some wonderful stories about Turkey. Thank you for sharing your photos and experience in Ephesus!

Pam said...

You are so lucky to travel to so many wonderful places. The meal you had sounds divine!

Stella said...

Wow, Beth. I've never been to Turkey, but it's on my list of places I really want to visit. I've heard the food is utterly amazing there. I love Turkish cuisine anyway, but I know things are usually better at the source;)
This hotel sounds nice and really relaxing too.
p.s. Thanks for your sweet comment on my last post. It's always hard to write a dietary post of any kind due to mixed reactions...

Joanne said...

the more I hear about turkey, the more I know for sure that I want to visit some day. I would be in heaven.

Julie said...

Your travels are amazing! I am so enjoying reading all about them!

Amie Kaufman said...

Oh, gorgeous! I've always wanted to go to Turkey, but I know it's a few years away yet. Vicarious travel will have to suffice for now. I love a good game of where-are-we-pantomime. Always so amusing for the locals!

I love that shot of the the table--I can imagine myself there eating, gazing out the window. Now I'm imagining what the view might be.

Rita said...

Thank you for visitng me and giving me chance to check your blog out. Love it.
Thank you for The Witch of Bloor Street; I will get this for my 14 year old grand daughter.
I know she will love it.
Hopefully I can get it here at our Chapters.
Rita

Reeni said...

This looks like a gorgeous place! Rustic and serene. A great place to spend some down time.

Susanne K. Fletcher said...

Beth, As I read your posts I can picture a version of Julie/Julia but where you describe Travel and Tastes. Your daughters and Andrew are gaining such a unique and valuable, "Worldly" experience that most of us only have a chance to read about. Keep us "posted"

El said...

Wow. It looks and sounds amazing. What a wonderful trip!

Beth said...

Thanks for your kind words, Susanne. Now you've got me thinking about who would play me in the movie! I'd be happy with either Meryl Streep or Amy Adams! (Though maybe not the Meryl Streep of The Devil Wears Prada. Or Doubt.)

chow and chatter said...

wow this place looks amazing will follow love reading a fellow travelers blog Rebecca

shaz said...

Oh how dreamy. Turkey is one place I long to visit, I want to see the fairy chimneys. Alas, so far my exposure to Turkey has been through a series of detecive novels set in that country!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Beth! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, it's nice to meet you! What beautiful photographs!

~Emily Z

Nirmala said...

I love your pictures in Turkey. They are gorgeous. What fun you're having, Beth.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'd love to spend some time in this gorgeous place.

theUngourmet said...

It's rare to find a spot here for star gazing. I can imagine how amazing it must have been there. This place looks so enchanting!

Trish Feehan said...

Beth, you make me yearn to travel again. What an amazing place!

Post a Comment